Jeffrey D. Anderson
Jeffrey Anderson is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Houston office. Mr. Anderson works with national clients in the financial services and healthcare industry sectors to obtain favorable outcomes in their Texas cases.
Mr. Anderson regularly handles disputes administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (JAMS) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Inc. (FINRA), and litigates cases in state and federal courts across Texas. In addition to his traditional trial experience, Mr. Anderson has managed teams of more than 20 lawyers during sophisticated eDiscovery projects before judges and special masters in state and federal courts.
In the financial services industry, Mr. Anderson helps credit service organizations, credit access businesses, banks, creditors, debt buyers and third-party debt collectors navigate evolving regulatory frameworks at the local, state and federal levels. He also regularly defends these entities in financial litigation involving alleged violations of city ordinances; Texas state laws such as the Certificate of Title Act, Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA), Texas Debt Collection Act (TCDA), and other provisions of the Texas Business and Commerce Code and the Texas Finance Code; and federal laws including the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
In the healthcare industry, Mr. Anderson represents health insurers, plan administrators, preferred provider organizations, health maintenance organizations, fiduciaries and claims administrators in all aspects of managed care litigation. Mr. Anderson is well versed in the complexity associated with prosecuting and defending claims in lawsuits impacted by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). Mr. Anderson is also experienced in recovering plan overpayments from providers due to fraudulent medical billing schemes and practices.
Mr. Anderson is a member of Holland & Knight's Innovation Committee, where he focuses on contributing to the firm's development and adoption of technology including applications utilizing machine learning and artificial intelligence. In the community, Mr. Anderson serves on the Houston Bar Association's Special Olympics Committee and provides pro bono representation to U.S. military service members in support of the American Bar Association (ABA) Military Pro Bono Project.
- Obtained a final award of approximately $1.5 million on behalf of the owners of a rural hospital following a two-week arbitration
- Defended auto finance company in contentious competitor litigation involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets premised on federal and state versions of driver's privacy protection laws
- Litigated and obtained favorable resolutions in multiple cases brought by consumers against auto finance lenders, credit access businesses and credit services organizations involving allegations of wrongful repossession and lien priority disputes in American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (JAMS) and various state courts
- Achieved favorable resolutions for debt buyers and third-party debt collectors against numerous class action and individual federal lawsuits asserting claims for relief under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Texas Debt Collection Act (TDCA)
- Secured an appellate opinion reversing a Texas trial court and compelling class action claims to be individually arbitrated against electric cooperative client
- Successfully defended an oil and gas services company against an application for temporary injunction following an evidentiary hearing
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Texas A&M University, B.S., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Texas Tech University School of Law Administrative Law Journal, Articles Editor