Jeff Anderson is a civil litigation attorney with extensive experience in arbitration, federal courts and Texas state courts. In the past year, Mr. Anderson successfully tried a jury trial to a complete defense verdict against plaintiffs seeking millions of dollars in damages and obtained a multimillion-dollar award from a panel of arbitrators in a securities fraud arbitration.
Mr. Anderson has appeared as counsel of record before more than 30 different federal judges and in state courts across all of Texas. He also regularly handles arbitrations administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (JAMS) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Inc. (FINRA). In addition to his traditional trial experience, Mr. Anderson has managed teams of more than 20 lawyers during large eDiscovery projects involving special masters in state and federal courts.
Frequently called upon for contract disputes, Mr. Anderson has assisted a number of international and domestic energy-based clients evaluating or pursuing litigation arising from numerous types of contracts, including asset purchase agreements, power supply agreements, terminal service agreements, charterparty contracts, and solar and wind utility-scale renewable energy development agreements. Mr. Anderson also regularly handles commercial litigation involving claims of fraud, tortious interference and misappropriation of trade secrets in matters between competitors, business partners and shareholders.
Mr. Anderson counsels clients with data privacy concerns arising from vendor, supply chain, technology contracts and the sharing of personally identifiable information. He has litigated privacy-based claims in state and federal court and is experienced with the Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act, Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) and Defend Trade Secrets Act (DTSA).
In addition, he is the current chair of the Securities, Litigation & Arbitration Section of the Houston Bar Association. Mr. Anderson is also a member of Holland & Knight's Innovation Committee, where he focuses on contributing to the firm's development and adoption of technology including applications utilizing machine learning and artificial intelligence. In his local community, Mr. Anderson has served on the Houston Bar Association's Special Olympics Committee and provides pro bono representation to U.S. military service members in support of the American Bar Association (ABA) Military Pro Bono Project.
- In 2022, earned a complete defense verdict in a two-week jury trial against plaintiffs seeking millions in damages
- In 2022, awarded more than $2.5 million following a two-week securities fraud arbitration
- In 2019, awarded more than $1.5 million for the owners of a rural Mexican hospital following a two-week securities arbitration involving offshore investments
- Defended auto finance company in contentious competitor litigation involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets premised on federal and state versions of driver's privacy protection laws
- Litigated and obtained favorable resolutions in multiple cases brought by consumers against auto finance lenders, credit access businesses and credit services organizations involving allegations of wrongful repossession and lien priority disputes in American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (JAMS) and various state courts
- Achieved favorable resolutions for debt buyers and third-party debt collectors against numerous class action and individual federal lawsuits asserting claims for relief under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Texas Debt Collection Act (TDCA)
- Secured an appellate opinion reversing a Texas trial court and compelling class action claims to be individually arbitrated against electric cooperative client
- Successfully defended an oil and gas services company against an application for temporary injunction following an evidentiary hearing
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Texas A&M University, B.S., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association, Securities Litigation Section, Chair
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Texas Tech University School of Law Administrative Law Journal, Articles Editor