Jessica Backus is a business attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and member of the Financial Services Team. Ms. Backus focuses her practice on the representation of borrowers, lenders and agents in senior secured credit facilities, second-lien credit facilities, real estate facilities and syndicated credit facilities.
Ms. Backus has experience in advising clients on corporate and financing transactions, including documenting various types of asset-based and cash-flow credit facilities across a broad range of industries.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Backus worked as an attorney at an international law firm, where she handled a variety of transactional work, principally mergers and acquisitions (M&A), commercial and finance transactions, and general corporate and securities matters.
During law school, Ms. Backus served as a clinician in Loyola University’s Tax Law Clinic and Business Law Clinic, where she advised entrepreneurs and small business owners seeking legal assistance with nonprofit organizations. She continues her dedication to pro bono work today.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Tax Law, cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A., Finance
- Chicago Bar Association, 2016-present
- American Bar Association, 2016-present
- Loyola University Chicago International Law Review, 2014-2016
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Dean's List, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, all semesters, 2013-2016
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Contracts, 2014
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, International Tax Law, 2016
- Dean's List, Michigan State University, 2009-2012