Stephen C. Baker
Stephen Baker assists condominium developers, owners, and associations in the area of real estate law. Clients with commercial, mixed-use, or residential condominium matters choose Mr. Baker for his engaging, problem-solving style.
Complex matters, such as the ownership change or amendment of a large condominium project, find creative resolution through Mr. Baker's leadership. In 2008, he and a handful of other attorneys were selected by the Tennessee Bar Association to co-author Tennessee's Condominium Act of 2008, a testimony to Mr. Baker's status as an authority on condominium law. Additionally, he has been a leader on the Tennessee Bar Association committee that drafted the Tennessee Homeowners Association Act which will be introduced in the 2015 Tennessee legislative session. The Act is the first HOA legislation ever introduced in Tennessee. In addition to condominium owners and developers, lending institutions rely upon his counsel regarding foreclosure-related matters. As a result of his in-depth knowledge on the subject, in 2011 Mr. Baker presented expert testimony to the Tennessee State Legislature during multiple hearings on proposed changes to the state foreclosure laws.
Mr. Baker's broad real estate experience also includes his in-depth understanding of title insurance and underwriting.
Mr. Baker speaks regularly at seminars and trade association meetings on condominium and planned unit developments, real estate development workouts, boundary law and easements, real property taxes, healthcare-related real estate issues, and title insurance.
- University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Economics
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
- Nashville Bar Association's Fee Disputes Committee
- American Bar Association Committee on Condominiums, Cooperatives and Homeowners Associations, Former Member
- Tennessee Chapter of the Community Associations Institute, Board of Directors
- Nashville Tennis Association, Board of Directors Former Treasurer and Member
- Tennessee State Tennis Tournaments, Former Tournament Director
- Middle Tennessee Tennis League, Former President
- 2004 Organizing Committee for the first United States Tennis Association Pro Circuit Challenger Tournament held in Nashville, Tennessee
- St. George's Kindergarten, Board of Directors, Former Member
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2009-2023
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, 2001-2013, 2018