Greg Baldwin is an experienced Miami trial lawyer who practices in the areas of complex commercial litigation defense and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Baldwin specializes in litigation involving the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT) Act, the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), the Money Laundering Control Act and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, as well as anti-money laundering (AML) and OFAC compliance program development and implementation. Mr. Baldwin is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist.
As a complex commercial litigation defense attorney, Mr. Baldwin was responsible for the successful defense of a foreign sovereign government and one of its key agencies in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit. Mr. Baldwin secured the reversal of a previous $50 million default judgment against both clients, and in 2017, won a complete defense verdict for the sovereign government at trial and subsequently a $2 million award for its agency.
As a white collar criminal defense attorney, Mr. Baldwin successfully defended a Fortune 500 company in simultaneous multiple criminal investigations, civil lawsuits and a congressional hearing, all arising from a series of allegedly wrongful actions by the company that had garnered intense media attention. No criminal charges were brought, the congressional hearing was brought to a successful conclusion, and the civil suits were favorably settled.
In his anti-money laundering practice, Mr. Baldwin's experience covers almost 40 years. Between 1982 and 1986, Mr. Baldwin served as Assistant United States Attorney in Miami in both the civil forfeiture division and in "Operation Greenback," the first federal multi-agency anti-money laundering task force in the United States. Mr. Baldwin was responsible for the first criminal prosecution of a bank for violation of the BSA, as well as successful civil forfeitures seizing millions of dollars of narcotics-related cash and other assets. He served as the chief of Operation Greenback in 1985 and 1986, and then brought his extensive skills to Holland & Knight in 1986. Since joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Baldwin has successfully represented numerous individuals and businesses in seven-figure civil forfeiture cases and in numerous BSA criminal and regulatory investigations and audits.
Mr. Baldwin's trial experience also includes serving as special trial attorney to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)'s Organized Crime and Racketeering Section (OCRS) from 1974 to 1979. In 1979 and 1980, Mr. Baldwin was in charge of electronic surveillance and grand jury investigations as chief of the intelligence unit of the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office. From 1980 to 1982, Mr. Baldwin served as assistant counsel to the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, where he was responsible for preparing and conducting congressional investigations and hearings on a variety of subjects.
Mr. Baldwin is a wounded veteran of the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart and the Army Commendation Medal for his service.
- Cornell Law School, J.D.
- Boston College, B.S., cum laude
- New York
- All State Courts in Florida
- All State Courts in New York
- All Courts in the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Miami Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association Task Force on the Gatekeeper Initiative
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2006-2021
- Who's Who Legal Florida: Business Crime Defence, 2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Most Effective Lawyer, International Litigation, Daily Business Review, 2018
- Who's Who Legal 100: Business Crime Defence, 2015; Investigations, 2014, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Miami Corporate Governance Law, 2020
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2007-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Miami Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers & Forensic Experts, 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2010-2014
- Special Commendation Award, the highest award for prosecutorial excellence from the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- ACAMS Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Cornell International Law Journal, Notes and Comments Editor