Nellie Q. Barnard is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Portland office. She focuses her practice on commercial litigation with a particular focus on legal ethics, risk management and disciplinary defense.
In her legal ethics practice, Ms. Barnard defends Oregon and Washington lawyers in attorney discipline matters, including on appeal, and assists lawyers and law firms at any point at which legal ethics issues intersect with litigation, such as sanctions, conflicts analyses, withdrawal, disqualification motions, privilege disputes and fee disputes. She also provides risk management advice to lawyers, law firms and in-house legal departments, and represents students, lawyers and other professionals in front of regulatory authorities and bar associations on licensing, admissions, reciprocity, character and fitness reviews, unauthorized practice of law and disciplinary matters.
Ms. Barnard's commercial litigation experience includes representing clients in complex business disputes, consumer financial services litigation and employment matters. She successfully represents business clients in numerous state and federal courts in cases involving contract disputes, trade secrets, unfair trade practices claims and business torts at both the trial court and appellate court levels.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Barnard clerked for the Honorable Virginia L. Linder on the Oregon Supreme Court. During law school, Ms. Barnard clerked for both the Oregon Department of Justice and the Clackamas County District Attorney's Office.
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, J.D., cum laude
- Middlebury College, B.A., magna cum laude
- All Appellate Courts in Oregon
- All State Courts in Oregon
- All Trial Courts in Oregon
- All U.S. District Courts in Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Multnomah Bar Association, Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Oregon Women Lawyers
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Campaign for Equal Justice, Associates' Committee
- Joyce A. Harpole Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Portland Professional Malpractice Law Ones to Watch, 2022
- Associates Award, Campaign for Equal Justice, 2021
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2020, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2018-2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017