Matthew Bielen is a private equity and M&A attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office. His practice focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, direct investments, joint ventures and other strategic corporate transactions. He has experience across industries with complex transactions involving unregulated and highly regulated businesses. Mr. Bielen represents private equity funds and those buying from, selling to or otherwise transacting with those funds. His clients also include public and private companies, investors, equity holders and executive management.
Before practicing in Miami, Mr. Bielen was an attorney in another leading international law firm’s San Francisco office, where he also represented private equity funds in M&A transactions. He began his career as an antitrust enforcement attorney with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in Washington, D.C. During that time, he served as vice chair of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Antitrust Law Committee. While in law school, Mr. Bielen served as a note and comment editor for the Catholic University Law Review.
Mr. Bielen is actively involved in and shows a demonstrated commitment to providing pro bono legal representation. He has participated in the Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity’s Success in Law School Mentoring Program. Mr. Bielen also has completed multiple Ironman triathlons and marathons.
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Franklin & Marshall College, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- England and Wales
- The Legal 500 USA, M&A/Corporate and Commercial – M&A: Middle-Market (sub $500M), 2022
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Leaders in Law Award, M&A, South Florida Business and Wealth magazine, 2015
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyer of South Florida, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2014