Elora Borkowski is a licensed patent attorney in Holland & Knight's Boston office and a member of the Intellectual Property Group.
Ms. Borkowski works to protect her clients' inventions through the patent system by drafting U.S. patent application, preparing response to Office Actions, and preparing and prosecuting appeals before the U.S. Patent and Trial Appeal Board. Ms. Borkowski focuses her practice in assisting clients in overcoming 35 U.S.C. § 112, § 101, § 102 and § 103 rejections, which includes creative approaches such as overcoming rejections utilizing an inventor's declaration and utilizing the most up-to-date guidance from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to overcome 35 U.S.C. § 101 rejections. Ms. Borkowski's technical background is in the intersection between science and technology with her B.S. in chemical engineering and a minor in law and technology. Particularly, Ms. Borkowski's background allows her to assist clients in the computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical and biological arts.
Before attending law school, Ms. Borkowski held legal internships with the USPTO and multiple Fortune 500 companies where she assisted a general intellectual property (IP) counsel in IP prosecution and litigation matters, as well gaining an appreciation of company-wide IP strategies and approaches. Further, Ms. Borkowski spent a summer at a prominent German research center assisting a Ph.D student in developing an air filter that removes toxic heavy metals from the environment. While in law school, Ms. Borkowski held several IP clerkships, where she focused on patent prosecution and litigation as well as trademark prosecution and litigation. During her clerkships, she assisted clients by drafting utility patent applications, USPTO Office Action responses and infringement opinions.
Ms. Borkowski has a basic proficiency in speaking and writing in German. Additionally, Ms. Borkowski studies at the French Cultural Center in Boston.
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, J.D.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Chemical Engineering; Minor in Law and Technology, summa cum laude
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Student Intellectual Property Law Association, University of New Hampshire School of Law
- Office of Intellectual Property and Innovation Fellow, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2015-2016
- Chemistry Lab Teaching Assistant, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Student Government Association, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Chi Omega, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property Certificate, University of New Hampshire School of Law, 2019
- Patent Law and Practice Award, University of New Hampshire School of Law, 2019