Alejandro Briceño is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's Mexico City office. Mr. Briceño focuses his practice on banking, finance and corporate law, including leveraged finance and general finance transactions, private equity, foreign investment, debt and capital markets, securitizations, structured finance, peer-to-peer lending, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and corporate governance.
Mr. Briceño advises domestic and international banks, brokerage houses and multiple object financial corporations (SOFOMs). Additionally, he has experience with M&A transactions for domestic and cross-border parties, as well as divestitures involving public and private entities. Mr. Briceño also represents issuers in public and private debt and equity offerings, both domestic and international.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Briceño was an associate at a global law firm in its Mexico City office.
During law school, Mr. Briceño served as a law clerk for two prominent Mexico City law firms.
- Served as legal counsel to Proteak Uno S.A.B. de C.V. (Proteak), a Mexican company active in the international forestry sector, in connection with a capital increase through subscription by the shareholders in accordance with their preemptive right, and subscription and payment by third parties for MX$659.9 million
- Served as legal counsel to Proteak in connection with a capital increase through subscription by the shareholders in accordance with their preemptive right, and subscription and payment by third parties for MX$356.4 million
- Served as legal counsel to Proteak in connection with a capital increase through subscription by the shareholders in accordance with their preemptive right, and subscription and payment by third parties for MX$82.6 million
- Served as legal counsel to Epesos S.A.P.I. de C.V., a payments and remittances services provider, in connection with its MX$66 million common equity raise from strategic partners
- Served as legal counsel to Minnt Solutions S.A. de C.V., a cloud-based services provider startup, in connection with its MX$16.5 million common equity raise from angel investors and strategic partners
- Represented an important furniture company in a leveraged buyout (LBO)
- Represented a limited purpose financial entity (Sociedad Financiera de Objeto Multiple (SOFOM), Entidad No Regulada) in connection with its MX$378 million equity raise
- Served as legal counsel to Grupo Sports World S.A.B. de C.V., a company that operates family fitness clubs in Mexico, in the refinancing of its debt before HSBC, Banco Santander and Arrendadora Actinver; the agreements with the financial institutions will improve the company's debt structure and generate financial flexibility in a time of global uncertainty
- Served as legal counsel to Alsea S.A.B. de C.V. (Alsea), a Mexico City-based operator of quick-service restaurants, coffee shops and casual dining establishments in Latin America and Spain, and its subsidiaries in the renegotiation and refinancing of Alsea's debt before Mexican and international banks; the agreements with the financial institutions will allow Alsea to recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Served as legal counsel to Proteak in the development and implementation of a corporate and market strategy for the company's current shareholders to subscribe a portion of the shares held in Proteak's treasury (represented by Ordinary Participation Certificates or CPOs) through an initial subscription; the funds will allow Proteak to continue its business expansion and increase its commercial forest plantations portfolio
- Served as legal counsel to Banco Compartamos S.A. Institución de Banca Múltiple, (Banco Compartamos), Mexico's largest microfinance institution, in obtaining US$70 million in loans from Citibank, the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), which will be used to provide loans to primarily women-owned small businesses in Mexico; the agreements will enable Banco Compartamos to continue lending to small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic, with a portion of the loans dedicated to less-developed regions of the country, including Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero and Puebla; in total, this collaboration will reach more than 135,000 small businesses, of which approximately 90 percent are expected to be women-owned
- Represented an important educational services provider group in Mexico in the sale of 100 percent of the shares issued by the company to a private equity fund for an enterprise value of MX$950 million
- Served as legal counsel for Invia Capital in the acquisition of Contenidos Financieros S.A. de C.V. and its subsidiaries (Infoselective S.A. de C.V. and Cartera S.A. de C.V.); the company provides informative content related to financial matters in México and the rest of the world
- Served as legal counsel to Aspel de México S.A. de C.V. in the sale of 100 percent of the shares issued by the company for an enterprise value of MX$3 billion
- Served as legal counsel to Transtelco Acquisitions III S. de R.L. de C.V., a Mexican subsidiary of Transtelco Holding Inc., in connection with a cash tender offer (Oferta Pública de Compra) through the Mexican Stock Exchange, with up to 100 percent of the shares representing the capital stock of Maxcom Telecomunicaciones S.A.B. de C.V.
- Served as legal counsel to Actinver Casa de Bolsa S.A. de C.V. and Grupo Financiero Actinver as placement agent in MX$354 million follow-on issued by Grupo Vasconia S.A.B. through the Mexican Stock Exchange
- Served as legal counsel to Banco Latinoamericano de Comercio Exterior S.A. (Banco Latinoamericano) in connection with the issuance of long-term bond certificates for MX$3 billion under a program issued for MX$25 billion
- Served as legal counsel to Alsea in its debt restructuring and related US$500 million issuance of senior notes due 2026
- Universidad Iberoamericana, J.D.