Kevin Brown is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Austin office. Mr. Brown has more than 20 years of experience representing individuals and companies in the media, entertainment, healthcare, retail and other industries.
Mr. Brown is a trial lawyer with significant experience in complex business litigation, mediation and arbitration. Responsive and attentive to clients, his experience includes contract and real estate disputes, healthcare litigation, false advertising, defamation, social media liability, copyright and trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, construction disputes, employment litigation and general business torts.
Additionally, clients in the entertainment and media industry – including entertainers, musicians, photographers and other artists – turn to Mr. Brown for representation in a variety of contract disputes, visual-content issues, intellectual property management matters and right of privacy and publicity issues.
Previously, Mr. Brown worked at law firms in Austin, Texas, and New York City.
- Represented a publicly traded company in false advertising lawsuit against company related to scientific commercial speech.
- Represented an online foreclosure listing service in a trademark infringement action against a competitor.
- Represented a major motion picture studio in a copyright infringement action involving the unauthorized use of a protected character by another filmmaker.
- Represented an individual in a dispute with his former spouse regarding potential defamation, tortious interference and other claims.
- Defended the executive director of a social services organization in defamation action brought by former clinician of the organization.
- Represented a national physician practice management company in dispute with former physician arising from the company’s acquisition of the physician’s practice.
- Represented an Austin-based medical practice in suing a former doctor-employee for failure to reimburse the practice after the employee failed to work the full employment term after sale.
- Represented a national dermatology practice in filing a declaratory judgment action against a former employee to confirm that the practice did not owe any incentive payments to a former employee, and the employee countersued.
- Represented a Houston-based surgical staffing agency in filing a lawsuit against two former employees for unfair competition and wrongful diversion of business opportunities.
- Represented a company in an arbitration proceeding with former software integration consultant.
- Represented a Texas-based insurance agency in a lawsuit against a national surety for breach of contract and violations of the Texas Insurance Code.
- Secured final judgment in litigation proceedings to recover over three million in stolen funds for a payroll company.
- Represented a Taiwanese product supplier in connection with contract and warranty action brought by a Texas-based manufacturer.
- Represented a publicly traded government services provider in its defense of Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) lawsuit, class action lawsuit, and other contractual disputes.
- Defended a seller of educational software against a purchaser of the product alleging contractual warranty and representation breaches.
- Represented an ex-wife in a one million divorce dispute with her former spouse concerning enforcement of contract and fiduciary rights under their divorce decree.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
- Northwestern University, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- All U.S. District Courts in New York
- All U.S. District Courts in Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Leadership Austin Essential Class, Alumnus, Class of 2013
- Meritas Leadership Institute, Class of 2012 Co-Chair
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Downtown Austin Alliance, Board of Directors, 2016-Present
- Northwestern University Club of Austin, President, Board of Directors 2013-2014
- VSA Texas, President, Board of Directors, 2007-2009
- MINDPOP, Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- Art Alliance Austin, Board of Directors, 2011-2013
- Sight.Sound.Soul, Participating Artist, 2008
- Top Attorneys, Austin Monthly, 2023
- Influencer in Retail Real Estate - Holland & Knight's Retail Development and Leasing Team, Globe St. Real Estate Forum, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 2018-2024; Copyright Law, 2023, 2024; Litigation - Construction, 2024
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2014-2019
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2013