John Canale is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice, and is a member of the firm's White Collar Defense and Investigations Team. He focuses his practice on white collar defense, criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions by government enforcement agencies, as well as complex civil litigation. He also advises companies with complex and sensitive internal investigations.
Mr. Canale represents clients facing civil and criminal enforcement actions by the government, as well as in government and internal investigations. He advises clients responding to U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Inspector General (IG) and other governmental agency subpoenas. Mr. Canale assists companies and individuals in responding to requests for testimony, information or documents made through grand jury subpoenas.
Mr. Canale also represents companies in complex business disputes involving claims for breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, fraud, conversion, infringement and unfair competition. Mr. Canale represents clients in all phases of litigation, including at the trial and appellate level, and in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration and mediation.
While attending law school, Mr. Canale served as an articles editor for the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review. He externed for the Honorable Margaret A. Nagle of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Mr. Canale also interned in the Government Bureau at the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Canale spent a year with AmeriCorps and was later involved in nonprofit management in Southern California for four years.
- Represented senior executive in federal criminal case prosecuted by U.S. Attorney's Office in Boston
- Represented several C-level executives in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) government investigations
- Represented companies in responding to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Inspector General (IG) subpoenas, as well as with state investigatory and enforcement agencies
- Conducted internal investigations regarding money laundering, tax reporting violations and embezzlement involving executives, directors and managers
- Represented numerous companies in making law enforcement referrals because of employee theft, extortion and embezzlement
- Represented a manufacturer in California Uniform Trade Secrets Act (UTSA) action involving chemical formula (Los Angeles Superior Court, jury trial, second chair)
- Represented a cloud computing company in arbitration (JAMS, second chair)
- Represented a global fine dinnerware brand in trade dress infringement litigation to protect the company's best-selling premier tableware line
- Defended a global toy brand in an inventor dispute regarding the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets under the California UTSA and the Defend Trade Secrets Act (DTSA) of 2016
- Represented a native tribe in appeal related to real property dispute over land access
- Represented numerous companies in defense of False Claims Act (FCA) lawsuits
- Represented hospitality groups in appeal over minimum wage regulations
- Represented an online payment platform in appeal of customer fraud claims
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- All State Courts in Massachusetts
- All State Courts in California
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Italian American Lawyers Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014, 2017