Veronica Canton is a data privacy and technology attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. Ms. Canton helps clients navigate complex legal issues and mitigate business risks associated with data privacy laws and technology transactions. Ms. Canton counsels public and private companies on consumer protection and data privacy issues with respect to product development, sign-up and point-of-sale procedures, digital marketing, regulatory compliance, incident response, and state and federal enforcement.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Canton was a business and intellectual property (IP) law attorney providing counsel regarding business transactions, branding strategies, intellectual property (focusing on trademarks) and data privacy. Prior to this role, Ms. Canton was a commercial litigation associate with a midsize firm where she was involved in complex commercial litigation representing clients in a wide variety of matters in state and federal court, including commercial litigation, patent infringement litigation, licensing agreements and employment law. In addition, Ms. Canton was also part of the blockchain group and has federal jury trial experience.
Since January 2020, she has served as professor lecturer in the Trial Advocacy Program at the University of Notre Dame Law School, delivering trial advocacy workshops, guiding students in learning-by-doing simulated mock bench and jury trial exercises.
During law school, Ms. Canton was a judicial extern at the First District Appellate Court of Illinois and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. She was also part of a student startup company called Impowerus Inc., one of the top eight student tech startups in the United States in 2018. Impowerus designed and developed a software as a service (SaaS) platform to facilitate attorney legal services.
In addition, Ms. Canton is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the United States and Europe (CIPP/US and CIPP/E) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- University of Notre Dame, J.D.
- San Francisco State University, M.A., International Relations
- San Francisco State University, B.A., International Relations
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Intellectual Property, Women in IP Action Group Co-Chair, 2020-Present
- ABA, Antitrust Law Section, Privacy and Information Security Committee, 2020-Present
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), Special Committee on Innovation Co-Chair, 2020-Present
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), 2019-Present
- Young Lawyer Fellow, American Bar Association (ABA) Section of Intellectual Property, 2020-2023
- Women of Legal Tech, ABA Legal Technology Resource Center, 2020
- Latinas of Influence, Hispanic Lifestyle, 2019
- Innovators, Visionaries and Leaders in Law Honoree, Fastcase 50, 2018
- Leadership Award, ABA Section of Intellectual Property, 2018