John R. Chapman is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Fort Lauderdale office. Mr. Chapman focuses on complex commercial litigation, asset recovery and judgment enforcement, and business torts and statutory claims. He represents clients in state and federal courts from the pre-suit phase through trial, appeals and collection/judgment enforcement.
Mr. Chapman aims to understand his clients' business, needs and industries. This approach allows Mr. Chapman to successfully represent clients in the financial services, insurance, real estate and development, marine, employee staffing and manufacturing/distribution industries. With his guidance and strategic approach to dispute resolution, his clients have obtained multimillion-dollar jury verdicts and defeated or resolved adverse claims seeking billions of dollars in damages.
In addition to all phases of litigation, Mr. Chapman represents a wide range of clients in their post-judgment asset recovery and enforcement efforts, including formulating and executing worldwide asset recovery and cross-border insolvency strategies, to enforce both U.S. and foreign judgments in excess of $100 million. His substantial experience includes interim and protective remedies, including litigating dozens of prejudgment attachment and injunction-predicated cases. Mr. Chapman's clients in this space include national and international investors, litigation financiers and private individuals and corporations. Mr. Chapman's comprehensive knowledge and experience allows him to formulate innovative and seamless strategies for his clients in working toward turning their claims into enforced judgments.
Outside of the firm, Mr. Chapman advocates for South Florida's marine industries and the vital role they play in the health of the local community. He also regularly volunteers in support of charitable organizations with a maritime theme, including Mission Fishin' and Crossing for a Cure. He is also committed to serving local, state and national bar associations.
- Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Miami, B.A., Political Science
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Marine Advisory Board, City of Pompano Beach
- Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Marine Advisory Committee
- Seafarers' House Inc., Board of Directors
- American Bar Association (ABA) Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- The Florida Bar, Code and Rules of Evidence Committee, 2012-2018
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section
- Broward County Bar Association
- Holland & Knight PCS Pro Bono All-Star, 2019, 2020
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale, Class XXII
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Torts, Civil Procedure, Wills, Condominium Law, Evidence, Civil Pre-Trial Practice