Eugene "Gene" Chikowski is a Philadelphia consumer compliance and bankruptcy attorney with strong relationships to decision-makers at Fortune 500 companies. He focuses his practice on consumer compliance issues, along with advertising, bankruptcy and ligation matters.
Mr. Chikowski represents large corporate institutions in bankruptcy and bankruptcy-related matters. He has extensive experience with both commercial and consumer-related bankruptcy issues including matters for a Fortune 100 worldwide financial services company, an international media company, a leading petroleum refining company and other New York-based companies. Moreover, he has been lead or a team member of consumer compliance projects for several financial institutions.
In addition to his traditional attorney role, Mr. Chikowski works directly with corporate clients in varied industries by bringing the law of a particular area into the business practices of the client. His particular experience and knowledge is in the area of financial risk management analysis and thinking "outside the box" to solve problems. In this capacity, his work with industry executives in business deals entails development of new strategies for process improvement and management of financial risk by conforming business practices to law. When litigation issues arise, in addition to the representation on the particular case, after the case is concluded, he provides a root cause analysis aimed at reducing further exposure.
A frequent lecturer, he has presented seminars for the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and clients on bankruptcy-related issues and Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Handled all aspects a creditor representation in pre-bankruptcy, bankruptcy and post-bankruptcy matters both consumer and commercial including UCC issues
- Handled every adversary actions filed against a client nationwide for 23 years
- Handled thousands of adversary proceedings of various types of causes of actions and performed and presented root cause analysis where appropriate
- Handled celebrity bankruptcy filings for client
- Represented a client on its $30 million-plus unsecured claim in Lehman Bros. and Bernie Madoff proceedings
- Handled franchise dealer and distributor bankruptcy matters for large refining and marketing company
- Led and supported client teams dealing with creditor pre-bankruptcy planning and the processing of bankruptcy information
- Defended a client in numerous violations of the Automatic Stay provision and performed and presented root cause analysis on all of them
- Negotiated post-petition agreement for an entertainment company regarding IP rights of TV shows and movies for new cable station
- Represented a national collections agency in its Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing and negotiating the ensuing storage and quality-control of sensitive, nonpublic files with the client's collections law firm
- Served as the national bankruptcy litigation counsel for a Fortune 100 financial services company, defending matters, from $100,000 to $30 million, under Chapter 5 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Provided ongoing bankruptcy and risk-related support to a Fortune 100 financial services company, including First Day Orders, documentation, preference issues and automatic stay concerns
- Obtained enforcement of a substantial letter of credit in Federal District Court in Utah, resulting in the proceeds being awarded to the client
- Served as counsel and advisor to an entertainment company on bankruptcy and related issues involving contract issues and negotiations, sale and acquisition of film libraries, and advertising law counsel
- Conducted compliance audits of a client's collection agents due to allegations by state attorney general
- Served as a team member on the implementation of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) consent orders on client's business operations
- Led the team responding to a U.S. Trustee Executive Officer inquiry into both compliance and bankruptcy issues
- Led a 35-state review project of consumer and commercial mortgages to ensure state law compliance
- Led or supported client teams in dealing with the compliance aspects of credit card consumers filing for bankruptcy and relayed issues
- Co-led the team that handled a sensitive inquiry into client business practices on handling of old debt, issued new guidelines and wrote corporate policy dealing with the same
- Wrote client corporate policy dealing with compliance issues and bankruptcy
- Represented a credit union on a wide variety of consumer compliance topics
- Acted as a general resource for a client for questions on the intersection of bankruptcy and consumer compliance
- Reviewed and edited company's print automotive ads around the country for compliance with state and federal regulations
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
- Wilkes University, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania