Esther D. Clovis is a New York attorney and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Ms. Clovis has represented and counseled clients in user agreement disputes and consumer-based litigation in New York and New Jersey state courts, as well as New York federal courts. In addition, Ms. Clovis is an International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
Ms. Clovis focuses her litigation practice on the defense of financial institutions and businesses in consumer class and individual actions, including privacy, data breach, false advertising, unfair business practices, fair lending, credit reporting and debt collection. In addition, she has defended toxic tort litigation brought against manufacturers, distributors and retailers of products alleged to contain toxic materials.
Ms. Clovis has assisted in the defense of complex litigation arising from breach of contract claims and has counseled and assisted with the representation of corporate defendants in consumer class actions arising from alleged consumer privacy violations and allegations of data misuse, the Wiretap Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. On the advisory side of her practice, Ms. Clovis supports the work of the Data Strategy, Security & Privacy team for clients facing ransomware and other data incidents, as well as for clients revising their privacy policies and other online disclosures. She has also advised clients implementing the requirements of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) and other federal and state laws and regulations. While in law school, Ms. Clovis worked as a legal extern at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development headquarters in Washington D.C. She also served as the executive director of Penn Law Advocates for the Homeless and completed nearly 200 hours of pro bono service during her tenure at Penn Law.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Clovis was a member of Teach for America, where she taught special education to middle school students in Newark, New Jersey.
Ms. Clovis serves as the co-chair of the American Bar Association's (ABA) Forum on Communications Law Diversity Moot Court Competition.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Certificate, Business Management
- Princeton University, A.B.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association (ABA), Forum on Communications Law
- Journal of Law and Public Affairs, Executive Editor
- Journal of Constitutional Law, Senior Editor
- Sadie T.M. Alexander Law Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2015
- Princeton Class of 1961 Fellowship, Princeton University, 2012
- ABA Forum on Communications Law, Data Privacy, Rising Star, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2019
- Haitian Creole