Stephen Cobb is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office and is a member of the Public Policy & Regulation Group. Mr. Cobb is a former deputy attorney general of Virginia and presidential appointee at the U.S. Department of Commerce. He assists clients through myriad legal challenges inherent in high-profile litigation and investigations. His experience helps clients deal with legal problems as they exist in the courtroom and the public sphere.
As an appointee of Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring, Mr. Cobb led the Government Operations and Transactions Division. He oversaw a team of upward of 60 attorneys and additional support staff that handled a variety of litigation, regulatory, commercial and technology transactions. This division represents eight of the 11 cabinet secretariats, comprised of more than 150 executive agencies, state boards and authorities, as well as more than 13,000 employees, with combined budgets of more than $13 billion.
Prior to his appointment as deputy attorney general, Mr. Cobb served as a senior advisor to the Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). In this role, Mr. Cobb was a member of a management team advising on intellectual property (IP) legislation and policy implementation, as well as public outreach in areas related to IP and innovation. An Obama Administration appointee, Mr. Cobb served as a representative of the USPTO, an agency with more than 13,000 employees and an annual budget of more than $3 billion, and the U.S. Department of Commerce within interagency working groups. Mr. Cobb also acted as a liaison to the White House on cross administration initiatives.
Mr. Cobb also has served as counsel and partner for leading law firms in Virginia, where he represented financial institutions and business entities in a variety of disputes in state and federal courts across the country.
During his private practice, Mr. Cobb served as general counsel to the Democratic Party of Virginia, advising the party and its officials through presidential and gubernatorial election cycles on legal issues pertaining to legislative policy, labor and employment, as well as political and election law. Additionally, Mr. Cobb served as special counsel to Rock the Vote, an internationally recognized nonprofit organization devoted to voting rights and engaging youth voters. Before entering private practice, Mr. Cobb was a law clerk for the Honorable Barry Poretz in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Prior to and after obtaining his legal education, Mr. Cobb worked on numerous local, state and national political campaigns, as well as served as a junior associate at one of Washington, D.C.'s top public policy firms. As a result of his legal and political background, Mr. Cobb has appeared regularly on various news programs, including Fox News, Fox Business and Newsmax, to provide analysis and insight on issues of law, policy and politics.
Mr. Cobb also has served as an adjunct law professor at William & Mary Law School and George Mason University School of Law.
- William & Mary Law School, J.D.
- University of Maryland, B.A., History
- District of Columbia
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Virginia Air & Space Center, Board Member, 2020-Present
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter, Member and Board of Directors, 2014-2017
- Leaders in Law, Virginia Lawyers Media, 2020
- Young Leaders Program Cohort, United States-Spain Council, 2019
- Top 40 Under 40, Style Weekly, October 2019
- Rising Stars, Virginia Super Lawyers, 2015
- Rising Stars, Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers, 2015