James Harvey Cottrell Jr.
Director of Ancillary Services
James "Chip" Cottrell is the Director of Ancillary Services and is based in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. In this role, Mr. Cottrell will advise clients on a range of regulatory monitorship, governance, ethics, artificial intelligence and anti-corruption matters.
Mr. Cottrell, who has built a foundation of accounting and audit experience in the Big Four, has more than 40 years leading organizational transitions, investigating fraud, waste and abuse as well as conducting asset reallocation and recoveries at a wide range of institutions, including global manufacturing, aerospace and defense, energy, technology, transportation and most recently, public sector entities. His recent efforts have included regulatory, compliance and governance issues related to cyberthreats and security, data analytics, artificial intelligence and cloud computing.
An experienced practitioner in areas such as resiliency consulting, vendor fraud/compliance, litigation support, anti-corruption and corporate transition/recovery, Mr. Cottrell has led a wide range of successful investigations and process controls reviews. He has extensive international experience in a broad array of business operations, consulting and accounting, including forensics.
Mr. Cottrell has served in a range of capacities and industries for remediation and monitorship arrangements associated with regulatory and other matters. He has specific experience in designing, implementing and monitoring compliance operations, government and regulatory consent agreements as well as related activities around the world. Mr. Cottrell gained notoriety and experience while serving as a C-suite executive of several well-known global technology companies.
An auditor and forensic accountant by background, Mr. Cottrell has lived and/or worked in the Americas, Africa, Middle East, Europe and Asia. His clients have included small- and medium-sized organizations, numerous sovereign governments and a multitude of Fortune 100 international companies.
Mr. Cottrell's experience includes engagement as a consultant in litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution matters. He has served as a functional leader of Deloitte's U.S. Federal practice, currently a $1.5 billion enterprise.
A recognized and published leader in risk management, corporate governance, ethics and compliance issues, Mr. Cottrell is a frequent lecturer in academia and board rooms around the world. In addition, he is on the staff of Stockholm University.
Mr. Cottrell is a retired partner with Deloitte-USA, where he also served as Deloitte's Global Chief Ethics Officer and its Global Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Officer. He currently serves as a senior advisor on ethics and integrity matters for a range of international organizations.
In addition, Mr. Cottrell is a certified public accountant in the United States and China, a United Kingdom chartered accountant, and a chartered global management accountant.
- Regulatory Monitorships
- Board Representation
- Governance and Ethics
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Mediation
- Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Matters
- White Collar/Financial Crime Investigations and Analysis
- Anti-Corruption Policies and Procedures
- Corrupt Practices Act Compliance and Related Investigations
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors' Rights
- International and Cross Border Transactions
- Geopolitical Risk Analysis
- Crisis Management
- Asset Liquidation
- Consideration/Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals
- Litigation Support
- Migration/Border Management
- Social Impact Investing
- Corporate Citizenship/Responsibility
- Government and Public Sector
- International Organizations
- Financial Services
- Media and Communications
- Transportation: Airlines, Marine Freight and Rail
- Healthcare: Providers and Servicing
- Pharmaceutical: Manufacturing and Distribution
- Government Contracting
- Manufacturing and Distribution
- Logistics Management
- Real Estate
- New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, MBA, Finance and Accounting
- Lafayette College, A.B.
- Carnegie AI & Equality Initiative (AIEI), Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs
- B20 Italy 2021 Integrity & Compliance Group
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (China)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (United Kingdom)
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association, Associate
- INSOL International
- Society of International Business Fellows, Class of 2005, Fellow
- Association of Government Accountants
- United Nations Global Compact, Anti-Corruption Sub-Committee, Co-Chairman
- Clean Business Practices Initiative – Nigeria, Advisor
- Sports Integrity Global Initiative, Founding Advisor and Board Member, 2015-Present
- Business 20 (B20)/G20, Anti-Corruption Working Group, Australia, 2014; Turkey, 2015; China 2016, Germany 2017
- The BTeam, Anti-Corruption Working Group, 2016-Present
- World Economic Forum: Aerospace, Travel and Defense Project Advisor, 2014; Infrastructure Project Advisor, 2015, 2016; Partnership Against Corruption Initiative Advisor, 2014-2017; Geopolitical and Economic Security Project Advisor 2015, 2016