Roger B. Coven
Roger B. Coven is a senior counsel in the Private Wealth Services Group in Holland & Knight's Los Angeles office, with a highly diversified background in commercial and probate litigation. After starting his practice in Washington, D.C., Mr. Coven moved to Los Angeles in 1987 where he developed a broad-based litigation practice. For both international and domestic clients, Mr. Coven has played a leading role in the management of complex, multi-party litigation, including very large commercial disputes, national class actions and complex probate litigation. He has extensive experience in state and federal courts, both in trials and in appeals.
The following are just a few of Mr. Coven’s recent cases:
- Mr. Coven acted as lead counsel on a complex, multi-party probate litigation involving claims of trustee and fiduciary misconduct and violation of a no contest clause, as well as significant business disputes.
- Mr. Coven acted as co-lead counsel on an arbitration to resolve significant business disputes involving trust and fiduciary issues.
- With four other attorneys from the Los Angeles office, Mr. Coven represented a Japanese owner of a hotel and condominium in a major construction defect case against two international contractors. After a nine month trial in the Territory of Guam involving very complex expert and factual testimony, the jury returned a verdict of more than $140 million.
- As part of another team, Mr. Coven defended a licensor of a business software product in a series of lawsuits filed by more than 25 of its licensees.
- Mr. Coven has defended a number of businesses in both California and national class action lawsuits involving product liability issues, employment and overtime issues and alleged economic damages.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., with honors
- Tufts University, B.A.
- All State Courts in California
- All Federal Courts in California
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Trusts and Estates, 2020-2022
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014
- Suffolk Law Review, Editor