James E. DelBello is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Philadelphia office who focuses on resolving a variety of complex litigation matters, including contract and licensing disputes, and class actions, with an emphasis in the financial services, insurance and technology industries.
Mr. DelBello frequently serves as lead counsel in high-stakes bench and jury trials in state and federal courts across the country. He handles major commercial disputes involving software licenses, mergers, acquisitions and asset purchase agreements, as well as a wide range of other agreements.
Mr. DelBello serves as an independent director and chair of the Regulatory Oversight Committee of the Board of Directors for Nasdaq Futures Inc. He works extensively with financial services and insurance companies on all legal and compliance issues, including product and rate filings, rule changes, general state insurance regulations, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) and federal securities regulations. He represents clients in investigations, examinations and enforcement actions before both state insurance departments and securities departments, as well as before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. DelBello served as a senior vice president and head of business law and compliance for a Fortune 200 financial services and insurance company, giving him extensive, wide-ranging knowledge of the issues companies face, particularly the impact of complex business issues as well as adopting and complying with emerging regulatory changes. He has managed market conduct examinations and enforcement actions, both individually and on a multistate basis, including before all 50 state insurance departments and treasury departments. He has also advised insurance industry clients on the DOL fiduciary rule.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. DelBello began his career as a law clerk for the Honorable Stephen J. McEwen Jr. of the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
- Representing provider of outsourced portfolio accounting services to investment managers and hedge funds in antitrust and commercial dispute regarding software licensing agreement
- Represented an international software company in cases involving the licensing, implementation and functionality of enterprise business software; involved issues concerning the development of industry-specific functionality for customers in the waste and recycling, retail and pharmaceutical distribution industries, as well as benchmarking and throughput capacity of software used in high-volume applications
- Represented a technology consulting firm in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association in a dispute involving a $2 billion outsourcing services agreement
- Represented a health insurer in nationwide ERISA and RICO class actions regarding proper reimbursement methodologies for out-of-network claims
- Represented a health insurer in putative class action brought by subscribers and treatment facilities claiming breach of contract, bad faith insurance practices and violation of Pennsylvania's consumer protection law regarding policies with substance abuse treatment claims
- Represented a life insurance company in claims involving alleged fraud and breach of contract by agents relating to the sale of whole life policies with a vanishing premium
- Represented a life insurance company regarding the payment of death benefits to the allegedly incorrect beneficiary
- Represented a reinsurance agent in claim for brokerage fees owed after the coverage was placed and the client changed to a new broker to service the account
- Represented a policyholder airline in the Legion Insurance liquidation in a case of first impression before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court; involved direct access to reinsurance for claims arising from the September 11 tragedy
- Represented a policyholder media company in the Reliance Insurance liquidation in claims for direct access to reinsurance
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit