Jake Evans is an Atlanta attorney in Holland & Knight's Public Policy & Regulation and Litigation and Dispute Resolution Groups. Mr. Evans represents individuals and companies in matters involving complex litigation; government and regulatory work at the local, state and national level; and general business law advice and counsel.
As part of his litigation practice, Mr. Evans focuses on disputes involving breach of contract and fiduciary duties, residential and commercial real estate (including wrongful foreclosures, partitions, quiet title actions and commercial leases), restrictive covenants, business dissolutions, partnerships and joint ventures, derivative corporate claims, note defaults and workouts, and intellectual property (IP), including patents, copyrights and trademarks). Mr. Evans is a first-chair litigator and manages all aspects of litigation, from early dismissals and resolutions to verdicts. He recently first-chaired and tried two high-profile bench trials, winning both.
As part of his government services practice, Mr. Evans represents companies facing wrongful taking of property rights, including business permits and licenses and real estate, by government entities and companies responding to government investigations by state attorney general offices, U.S. attorney offices and other state and federal agencies. Mr. Evans has a robust election law practice and represents and advises municipalities and counties on many election law issues, and is the only lawyer in Georgia history to successfully contest two elections in the same race. He also represents companies and individuals before Georgia state and local government agencies, including licensing boards, state commissions and boards, and procurement offices. Mr. Evans represents private entities, municipalities, state agencies and community boards in federal and state courts, and in response to subpoenas and open records requests.
As part of his financial services practice, Mr. Evans serves as outside counsel to many midsize and large companies and advises them on general business law issues, including agreement drafting (MSAs, corporate governance documents and equity agreements) and acquisitions on the buy and sell side. In this role, he has significant experience representing emerging and early-stage companies, where he carefully balances providing sufficient legal protection with ensuring adequate resources are available to push a company's product to market.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Evans is chairman of the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission (formerly the State Ethics Commission), a quasi-judicial body overseeing the ethical and reporting compliance of candidates, officeholders and lobbyists in Georgia. Mr. Evans also serves on the Georgia Bipartisan Task Force for Safe, Secure, and Accessible Elections, the United States Commission on Civil Rights' Georgia Advisory Committee, and the Atlanta Ballet's Advisory Council. Mr. Evans is also chairman of the Republican National Lawyers Association's Georgia Chapter and the Georgia Republican Party's Election Competence Task Force.
Mr. Evans has received numerous honors and awards. He is a 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star honoree, a recognition given to only 2.5 percent of Georgia lawyers, was recognized by Georgia Trend magazine in its 2018, 2019 and 2020 Legal Elite list for the best lawyers in Georgia in the areas of Business Law and General Practice/Trial Law, and was recognized as a 2021 One to Watch by the Best Lawyers in America magazine. The ALM Daily Report named him one of 20 Georgia attorneys in its On the Rise Class of 2018, which honors attorneys who are projected to go far in their fields. James Magazine recognized Mr. Evans as one of Georgia's Most Influential Politically-Connected Attorneys in 2018, 2019 and 2020, and as one of the Most Influential Georgians in 2020 and 2021.
In addition, Mr. Evans is an honoree in the 2018 Atlanta Business Chronicle's 40 Under 40 Class, an honoree in Outstanding Atlanta's 2018 Class, a graduate of the 2018 LEAD Atlanta Class, a graduate in the Republican Leadership for Georgia's 2019 Class, a graduate of the 2017 Leadership Buckhead Class, a graduate of the 2014 State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division (YLD) Leadership Academy, and a current participant in the Conservative Policy Leadership Institute’s 2020 Class.
Mr. Evans is a frequent commentator on local, regional, and national television and radio broadcasts on various legal and political issues.
- The University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- The University of Georgia, B.A., summa cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- All State Courts in Florida
- All Appellate Courts in Florida
- All Courts in Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Lamar Inn of Court, Barrister, 2016-Present
- Lumpkin Inn of Court, Barrister, 2017-2019
- Georgia Bipartisan Task Force for Safe, Secure, and Accessible Elections, Member, 2020-Present
- Georgia Republican Party Elections Competence Task Force, Chairman, 2020-Present
- Georgia Advisory Committee to the United States Commission on Civil Rights, Member, 2020-2024
- Atlanta Ballet, Advisory Council, 2020-Present
- Young Professionals of Atlanta, Board of Directors, Membership Co-Chair, 2018-2019
- Republican Leadership for Georgia, Class Treasurer, 2019
- Republican National Lawyers Association - Georgia Chapter, Chairman, 2019-Present
- Atlanta Growth Partners, Co-Founder
- Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission, Commission Member, 2016-2019; Chairman, 2018-Present
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta, Young Leaders Council, 2016-2019
- Atlanta Service Juris, Steering Committee Member, 2016-2018
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Light the Night Executive Committee Member, 2015-2016
- Atlanta Council of Young Lawyers, Board of Directors, 2016-2019
- Atlanta Young Republicans, President, 2017-Present; Executive Vice President, 2016-2017; Vice President of Political Affairs, 2015-2016; Secretary, 2014-2015
- Georgia Young Republicans, General Counsel, 2015-2016
- Magistrate's Retirement Fund of Georgia, Board Member, 2014-2016
- State Bar of Georgia, YLD Litigation Committee, Chairman, 2015-2017; Georgia Bar Journal, Editorial Board, 2015-Present; Professionalism Committee, Board Member, 2016-2018; YLD Board of Directors, 2016-2017; YLD Representative for the Northern District of Georgia, 2014-2016, 2016-2018; YLD Litigation Committee War Stories Subcommittee, Chairman, 2014-2015; Georgia Indigent Representation Task Force, 2014-2016; YLD Leadership Academy, Graduate, 2014; YLD Law School Fellows Committee, 2014-2015
- 2016 Presidential Ballot Access Initiative, Co-Chair, 2015-2016
- Atlanta 500 Most Powerful Leaders: Professionals, Atlanta Magazine, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Atlanta Commercial Litigation Law Ones to Watch, 2021
- The Most Influential Georgians, James Magazine, 2020, 2021
- Conservative Policy Leadership Institute Participant, 2020
- The Legal 500 USA, Government Relations, 2019
- One of Georgia's Most Influential Politically-Connected Attorneys, James Magazine, 2018-2020
- United States Young Opinion Leader’s Delegation to the Republic of China (Taiwan), 2019
- Georgia Legal Elite, Georgia Trend magazine, 2018-2020
- Outstanding Atlanta 50th Anniversary Honoree, 2018
- Rising Star, Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, 2018-2021
- Man of the Year, Georgia Young Republicans, 2018
- On the Rise Class, ALM Daily Report, 2018
- 40 Under 40, Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2018
- Outstanding Atlanta Class Honoree, 2018
- Republican Leadership for Georgia Graduate, 2019
- LEAD Atlanta Graduate, 2018
- Leadership Buckhead Graduate, 2017
- Georgia Bar Leadership Academy Graduate, 2014
- Award of Achievement, State Bar of Georgia, YLD, 2017
- Winter Star of the Quarter, State Bar of Georgia, YLD, 2017
- Outstanding Young Leadership Award, State Bar of Georgia, YLD Litigation Committee, 2015