Sean M. Garahan is an attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office and a member of the firm's Real Estate Section. Mr. Garahan represents clients in a wide range of complex real estate and transactional matters, including acquisitions and dispositions, development, construction, leasing and financing of all commercial real estate asset classes. Mr. Garahan also represents clients in the structuring of joint venture agreements in connection with business formations to own, operate and develop such real estate assets.
Mr. Garahan has a broad range of experience in representing borrowers and lenders in mortgage, mezzanine, construction and other financings, development and construction projects, as well as real estate investment transactions, including representing clients in the purchase and sale of mortgage and subordinated debt, and the negotiation of intercreditor, participation and co-lender agreements. Mr. Garahan has represented a wide range of clients in connection with loan restructurings, discounted payoffs, deed-in-lieu transactions and foreclosures.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Garahan was an attorney at an international law firm in New York.
- Represented an owner in the disposition of a portfolio of hospitality services throughout the U.S.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition of the "American Dream" development in East Rutherford, New Jersey
- Represented the sponsor in the acquisition of a membership interest for the development and repositioning of a commercial office building in Chicago, Illinois, including the negotiation of a tenancy-in-common agreement, a joint venture agreement and mortgage financing
- Represented an owner in the formation of a programmatic joint venture and the acquisition, financing and leasing of a portfolio of industrial properties throughout the U.S.
- Represented the borrower/developer in a $870 million acquisition and bridge financing, with respect to a new construction development site in New York City
- Represented the purchaser/borrower in the acquisition of several properties and excess development rights in connection with an assemblage in New York City for a new commercial development, which included mortgage, mezzanine and preferred equity financing
- Represented the purchaser in a $106 million acquisition/finance of a New York City hotel, including negotiation of a franchise agreement
- Represents borrowers and lenders in the workout and modification of numerous mortgage and mezzanine financings, with respect to multifamily, hospitality and commercial office properties
- Represented numerous institutional lenders and real estate funds in the acquisition of mortgage and mezzanine financing, including negotiation of co-lender, participation and intercreditor agreements
- Represented the borrower/developer in a $1.7 billion mortgage and mezzanine construction loan, with respect to a new construction mixed-use property in New York City that included approximately $1.35 billion mortgage and mezzanine financing and a $352 million junior mezzanine EB-5 financing and numerous joint ventures
- Represented the borrower in a $600 million mortgage and mezzanine financing relating to a four property condominium conversion portfolio in New York City, including the buy-out of a preferred equity partner
- Represented the institutional lender in the $167 million mortgage loan origination for a single-tenant commercial building in Washington, D.C.
- Represented an institutional lender in a $100 million mortgage loan origination relating to a hospitality property in New York
- Represented an institutional lender in originating mortgages in excess of $4 billion for multifamily and commercial office properties throughout the U.S.
- New York Law School, J.D.
- St. John's University, M.A.
- Boston College, B.A.
- New York
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2017-2019