Phil George is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Mr. George has extensive experience at all stages of litigation in federal and state courts, including trial, motion practice and complex discovery experience. Mr. George also has a wealth of experience working on appeals, primarily in Georgia appellate courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He has handled a variety of matters including cases involving complex commercial litigation, breach of contract, business separation, negligence, the Georgia Open Records Act, the Open Meetings Act, employment law and landlord/tenant issues.
Mr. George's representative matters include the following:
- obtained dismissal of petition in a high-profile tax litigation case involving counts for declaratory judgment, injunctive relief and tax rebate
- obtained dismissal of petition seeking records from private entity under the Georgia Open Records Act
- obtained dismissal of complaint seeking reversal of decision from high-profile transportation agency
- obtained Supreme Court of Georgia's reversal of an adverse summary judgment ruling relating to contractual indemnification provision
- obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in district court for a risk management company in a breach of restrictive covenants case
- obtained interlocutory injunction in taxpayer case against governmental board
- provided appellate representation for a company in government contractor breach of contract case resulting in a verdict for client
- provided appellate representation for a transportation company regarding the applicability of Georgia's self-insurance statutes
- provided appellate representation in a week-long jury trial involving an airplane crash resulting in a full defense verdict
- obtained a favorable defense verdict for a large international bank in a four-week bench trial regarding Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities (RMBS)
- obtained a favorable jury verdict for a large international bank in week-long jury trial regarding an alleged breach of investment agreements
- provided a successful defense in a week-long pro bono trial in family court
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. George was an associate at a large international law firm in New York, where his practice focused on complex commercial litigation.
During law school, Mr. George served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Renee Marie Bumb of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He also provided pro bono support for LawHelp New York, a nonprofit organization that assists clients access information regarding a variety of publicly available legal services.
- Columbia University Law School, J.D.
- Georgetown University, B.S., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Columbia Journal of European Law, Managing Editor
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Columbia University