Deborah S. Griffin is a partner in Holland & Knight's Boston Litigation Group and concentrates her practice in the area of contracts, contract disputes and distressed projects related to construction. She regularly advises contractors, owners, lenders and investors on construction contract, administration and claim matters and handles construction disputes from start to finish.
Ms. Griffin's experience includes the representation of contractors, construction managers, owners, sureties, banks and bank regulators in loan and contract default situations, both before and during litigation or bankruptcy proceedings. She has helped draft a contract addendum for the use of building information modeling (BIM) on construction projects which has been published as ConsensusDOCS form 301.
Her practice includes: structuring project delivery methods and reviewing, structuring and negotiating construction, development, design and construction management contracts; advising clients on contract interpretation and contract and project administration for commercial, institutional, and public building projects and public works projects; claim avoidance counseling; public procurement laws and bid protests; construction industry labor and employment issues; change order management; project close-out management; assessment, preparation and defense of claims; litigation and arbitration of construction related disputes; contract default management and providing general business advice to developers, project owners and construction industry clients.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Bryn Mawr College, A.B., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- All State Courts in Massachusetts
- All State Courts in New York
- Associated General Contractors of America
- American College of Construction Lawyers, Fellow, 1990-1994; 2006-present
- Boston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Committee
- National Construction Panel of Arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, Chair, 1990-1991; Governing Committee, 1986-1991
- American Bar Association Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Vice Chair, 15 years
- United States Arbitration and Mediation Trained Mediator
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Construction, 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leader, North America, Construction, 2019; Global Leader, North America, Construction, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Construction Law, 2013-2021
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate and Construction: Construction, 2016-2018, 2020
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2020
- Who's Who Legal 100: Construction, 2014, 2015
- Who's Who Legal – The International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers, 2012-2019
- Boston University Law Review
- OSHA 10-Hour Safety Program Certified
- American Bar Association's Cornerstone Award, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated