Michelle Haws is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Houston office and a member of the firm's Private Wealth Services Group. Ms. Haws focuses her practice on trusts, estates and charitable donations.
Ms. Haws primarily represents charitable organizations in contested and uncontested trust and estates matters. She is a member of a national team of attorneys, fiduciary accountants and paralegals who advocate on behalf of nonprofit organizations as beneficiaries of matured bequests, with the ultimate goal of following donor intent to accelerate and increase bequest revenue to those organizations. Ms. Haws has also represented trustees, administrators, executors, beneficiaries and guardians in litigation and administration proceedings concerning trusts, wills, gifts, estates and guardianships. She is a certified attorney ad litem and guardian ad litem for the probate courts.
Additionally, Ms. Haws has experience in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. She has litigated a variety of healthcare and employment disputes in state courts, federal courts and arbitration proceedings.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Haws worked for a Texas-based law firm in its Houston office and represented a variety of clients in business and employment disputes, as well as healthcare litigation matters.
Ms. Haws graduated first in her class from South Texas College of Law. During law school, Ms. Haws served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Jim Sharp of the Texas First Court of Appeals and participated in the Estate Planning and Probate clinics at South Texas. She also worked as a law clerk at a boutique firm handling employment litigation. In addition, Ms. Haws completed a summer internship with one of Houston's largest healthcare systems.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Miami, B.S., Media Management and History, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- All State Courts in Texas
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Houston Bar Association, Probate, Trusts and Estates Section
- Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA)
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Highest Score, Texas Bar Examination, February 2017
- Order of the Lytae