Christopher R. Heredia is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office, where he focuses his practice on legal ethics and risk management for lawyers, law firms and in-house counsel, and commercial litigation matters.
As a member of the firm's Legal Profession Team, Mr. Heredia advises and represents attorneys, law firms and corporate legal departments in all aspects of professional responsibility matters, including law firm organization and dissolution, conflicts of interest, lawyer mobility, legal advertising, unauthorized practice of law, confidentiality and evidentiary privileges, and regulatory compliance. Mr. Heredia also represents individuals in bar disciplinary defense matters at the state and federal levels, including before the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) and the U.S Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Additionally, he represents law students and other professionals before regulatory agencies, including the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) and the Committee on Character and Fitness.
In his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Heredia represents a wide variety of clients in complex business disputes, including breach of contract, fraud and other business torts.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Heredia served as litigation counsel for the Illinois ARDC, where he investigated hundreds of charges of attorney misconduct and litigated formal proceedings before the Commission's Hearing Board and Illinois Supreme Court. His tenure with the ARDC allowed him to gain significant experience with legal ethics and the law of lawyering.
Prior to his work with the ARDC, Mr. Heredia was a criminal prosecutor for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office in Chicago, the nation's second-largest prosecutor's office, where he gained extensive experience in overseeing and litigating complex vehicle, theft and fraud-related criminal matters, as well as the litigation of civil commitment cases, including actions for involuntary commitment and medical treatment.
In the community, Mr. Heredia is active in local and national bar associations and frequently presents on legal ethics matters to law schools, organizations and media outlets. As a faculty member of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), he teaches lawyers successful deposition techniques during their annual deposition skills training program. Mr. Heredia also previously taught Ethics and Advocacy as an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law, a course which combined rules, cases and elements of professional responsibility with trial advocacy skills.
- Successfully represented numerous attorneys before the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) in both confidential investigations and formal disciplinary proceedings
- Successfully obtained reinstatement on behalf of a disciplined attorney in proceedings before the Illinois Supreme Court
- Ensured ethical compliance for multiple law firms' nationwide expansions and legal advertising strategies
- Represented applicants in bar admission certification proceedings before the Committee on Character and Fitness
- Assisted corporate client in creating an operational structure and legal services agreement to ensure ethical compliance of in-house counsel utilization
- Represented commercial real estate developer in disqualification of counsel proceedings
- Advised law firm clients on ethical duties related to partnership disputes, referral fees and file retention
- Represented a global transportation and logistics company in pursuit of a trade secrets misappropriation and breach of contract action, including successful attainment of a temporary restraining order (TRO)
- Represented national insurance company in defense of negligence and breach of contract action
- Represented a state pension fund in defense of administrative review proceedings
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D.
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A., Political Science
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois, Board Member, 2018-2019; Committee Co-Chair, 2019-Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers' Section, Professional Responsibility Committee Co-Chair, 2020-Present
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Center for Professional Responsibility
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020