Jaime Herren is a private wealth services attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office. Ms. Herren advises and represents clients in complex trust and estates litigation, tax controversies, intellectual property management and litigation, and business litigation.
Complex Trust and Estates Litigation: Ms. Herren represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in disputes over trusts and estates issues such as accounts, contests, principal and income allocations, investment decisions, intellectual property management and creditor claim disputes. She has trial experience at the state court level and has removed actions to federal district court, as well as appealed to the state court of appeals for resolution of complex issues.
Tax Controversies: Ms. Herren represents taxpayers in income, estate, employment and sales tax compliance, audits and appeals at the administrative levels. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court and provides litigation support for tax matters in federal district court.
Intellectual Property Management and Litigation: Clients turn to Ms. Herren for advice on development and patenting of new technology, as well as management and protection of existing patent and technology portfolios. She represents startups and small businesses in developing an IP portfolio, technology licensing and dispute avoidance through litigation and settlement resolutions, including corporate asset sales. She is admitted to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and has appeared in federal district courts.
Business Litigation: Corporations engage Ms. Herren to provide in-house counsel across multiple states and administrative venues, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). She advises companies on a wide variety of issues that multistate businesses may face regularly. Where a creative business resolution cannot be found, Ms. Herren has appeared pro hac vice in courts across the country, and has engaged and managed local counsel throughout the course of civil litigation.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Herren was an attorney for a boutique litigation law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
During law school, Ms. Herren served as managing editor and technical editor of the Intellectual Property Law Bulletin. She was also a member of the University of San Francisco Moot Court Team, a staff member of the University of San Francisco Law Review and a Student Bar Association representative to the American Bar Association (ABA). In addition, Ms. Herren completed a legal internship at a national law firm in Bangalore, India, and completed course work at the National Law School of India University.
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of California, Berkeley, M.S., Thermal Sciences and Combustion
- University of California, Berkeley, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Tax Court
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Member, 2012–Present; Litigation Section, Board Member, 2016-Present; Chair, 2018-Present
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association (SFIPLA), 2010-2014, 2019-present
- Bar Association of San Francisco, 2019-present
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE), 2000-present
- Advanced Course on Intellectual Property Management, WIPO Academy
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Rising Star, Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2020
- Arthur Ziff Junior Scholarship, University of San Francisco School of Law, 2007-2010
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Intellectual Property Litigation, University of San Francisco School of Law, 2009
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Construction Law, University of San Francisco School of Law, 2009