Dennis M. Horn is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. Mr. Horn's real estate and public law practice spans more than three decades. Mr. Horn represents multibillion-dollar private real estate funds in the acquisition, financing and sale of commercial real estate leased to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) and to other state and federal government agencies.
In addition, Mr. Horn represents developers and property owners in land assembly, joint ventures with equity sources, public-private partnerships, commercial leasing, and acquisition and development transactions. He also represents not-for-profit corporations, including religious institutions and hospitals, in all aspects of their real estate initiatives, including capitalizing on underutilized real estate, build-to-suit leases, ground leases, securing government support and project development.
- Represented a major D.C. developer in multiple joint ventures with national equity sources, real estate acquisition, construction, development and leasing of several mixed-use projects in D.C. and Northern Virginia, comprising more than 1 million rentable square feet of retail, residential and office space
- Represented a Virginia land owner in connection with land assembly, joint venture with a local development company and ultimate development of a mixed-use development near the Clarendon Metro station in Northern Virginia, including a hotel and residential project
- Represented a Virginia developer in connection with development of several mini-storage facilities and an apartment building
- Represented several real estate funds in acquiring more than $2 billion in office complexes in 17 states leased to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), Virginia and state governments
- Represented a large, not-for-profit hospital in a "build-to-suit" medical office building lease with outpatient surgical center in Prince George's County, Md.
- Represented multiple law firms, medical professionals, trade associations and businesses in headquarters office lease negotiations with landlords
- Represented a large, not-for-profit hospital in its acquisition from the U.S. government and the subsequent redevelopment of land and buildings in the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Represented a religious institution in connection with monetization through ground leases of excess land adjacent to St. Matthew's Cathedral and Carrol Square Church in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a large, not-for-profit hospital in its acquisition from the U.S. government and redevelopment of a portion of the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Represented a developer in a public-private partnership with the District of Columbia government to build a 600,000-gross-square-foot (GSF), mixed-use project in the District's West End, including high-rise residential apartments and condominiums, affordable housing, a public library, a fire station and a squash facility
- Represented a developer in a public-private partnership to build a luxury hotel and condominium project in Georgetown on a ground lease from the District of Columbia
- Represented the D.C. Financial Responsibility and Management Assistance Board in creating a strategy to reduce regulation in order to attract businesses to the District of Columbia
- Represented private real estate trusts in connection with a $775 million portfolio refinancing and a separate $500 million commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) portfolio refinancing
- Represented multiple developers and investors in negotiating construction loans, acquisition loans, mezzanine debt and permanent financing
- Represented a large, not-for-profit hospital in connection with a sale, leaseback financing, including publicly issued municipal bonds in Prince George's County, Md.
- Represented a D.C.-based synagogue in connection with an unsecured line of credit for construction of expanded facilities
- Represented Amtrak on financing its $1.1 billion high-speed rail project from Washington, D.C., to New York City
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- University of Rochester, B.A., Economics and History, magna cum laude
- The London School of Economics and Political Science, M.S., Planning Studies in the Faculty of Economics
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trusts and Estates Section, Executive Committee; Future of Law Task Force, Chair; ABA House of Delegates, Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- District of Columbia Building Industry Association, former Board of Directors, former Federal Relations Committee Chair
- Leadership Greater Washington, Class of 2009
- District of Columbia Chamber of Commerce, former General Counsel; former Executive Board; former Board of Directors; former Education Committee Chair
- C. Education Compact, former Business Representative
- National Association of Senior Living Industries, former Vice President
- C. Regulatory Reform Project, "Mapping the Steps toward Economic Revitalization," D.C. Project Leader
- Montgomery County, Md., Friends of the Library, General Counsel
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2019-2021
- Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers magazine, 2007-2020
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, May 2009
- Excellence In Writing Award (Best Overall Article in Probate and Property Magazine), 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated