George B. Howell III is of counsel in Holland & Knight's Tampa office. He concentrates primarily in the areas of banking and finance, including commercial lending transactions primarily for banks and other lending institutions, asset-based financing transactions, real estate and construction loans, as well as general real estate transactions. His experience also includes the representation of a prominent family in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, from 2007 to 2014 on various corporate, business and real estate matters while working in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and the U.S.
In 1992, Mr. Howell was elected to serve as a trustee, secretary and legal counsel – and currently serves as president of The Saunders Foundation, a substantial charitable foundation established in 1956 to support nonprofit organizations in the Tampa Bay area. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the Tampa Bay History Center since 1991, serving as chairman from 2000 until the opening of the facility in 2009, and currently serves as trustee emeritus. He is the founder, in partnership with the United Way Suncoast, of Mission United Hillsborough County, a program assisting veterans, active duty military members and their families in the areas of benefits, employment, health, education, pro bono legal services, transition and housing, and serves as Advisory Council chairman.
Mr. Howell is a former director and president of the University Club of Tampa, the Tampa Historical Society, the Travelers Aid Society of Tampa, the University of Tampa Board of Counselors, Tampa Yacht & Country Club (Commodore) and the Exchange Club of Tampa. He is a former director of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, the Holland & Knight Charitable Foundation, the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay, the Gulf Ridge Council, Boy Scouts of America, the Tampa Museum of Art, United Cerebral Palsy of Tampa Bay and Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, and is a former trustee of the University of Tampa Board of Trustees.
From 1976 to 1978, he was a member of the U.S. Merchant Marines while working for Tampa Electric Company with its ocean tug boat and barge operations in the U.S., Canada, Caribbean and Pacific.
While attending Mercer University, Mr. Howell was president of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.
- South Texas College of Law Houston, J.D.
- Mercer University, B.A., Political Science
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Local Government, Administrative Law and Land Use and Real Property, Probate and Trust Sections
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- George Edgecomb Bar Association (African American Bar)
- Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Tampa, Class of 1989
- Leadership Tampa Bay, Class of 1993
- The Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Historical Committee, 2011- present
- MacDill Air Force Base Engagement
- Honorary Commander, 6th Comptroller Squadron, MacDill Air Force Base, 2009-2011
- Honorary Commander for the Base and 6th Air Mobility Wing Commander, MacDill Air Force Base, 2013-2015
- MacDill Support Council, MacDill AFB 2011-present; Chairman, 2015-2018
- MacDill Air Force Base Delegate for Air Mobility Command's Civic Leader Conference Program, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, 2012-2016
- The Florida Bar President's Pro Bono Service Award, 13th Judicial Circuit, 2019
- Bay Area Legal Services General James B. Peake Award, 2018
- The Tampa Bay Lightning Community Hero Award, 2018
- Bob Cutler Award, Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce Military Affairs Committee, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, 1995-Present
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2014 and 2017
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2018
- Commander's Public Service Award and Medal, Department of the Air Force, 2012
- 2011 Parke Wright, III Leadership Award, Leadership Tampa Alumni, 2012
- Executive offices at the Tampa Bay History Center named "George B. Howell, lll Administrative Offices Suite" in recognition of service, 2009
- Red McEwen Award, Hillsborough County Bar Association, 2001
- Outstanding Service Award in connection with the publication of: Things Remembered, An Album of African Americans in Tampa by Rowena F. Brady, 1995
- President's Award, Tampa Historical Society, 1995
- Lucille T. Cullen Memorial Award, Travelers Aid Society, 1992
- Man of the Year, United Cerebral Palsy of Tampa Bay, 1990
- Up and Comers Award, Price Waterhouse, 1990