Louis Joseph is a senior counsel in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and a member of the firm's Executive Compensation and Benefits Team. Mr. Joseph's background as a former counselor in the Office of the Solicitor of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) enables him to advise employers, financial institutions and vendors on fiduciary and prohibited transaction issues arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
Mr. Joseph focuses his practice on employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) and other employee benefit plans, including investments in employer securities, and also represents clients in regulatory matters before the IRS and the DOL. He has experience counseling companies on qualified retirement plans, welfare benefit plans, executive and equity compensation, and benefits issues.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Joseph served as an associate solicitor for plan benefits security at the DOL – the agency's most senior ERISA counsel – then as a partner at a top accounting and consulting firm, where he led its HR-related tax, accounting and regulatory practice for the Central, Southwest and Western regions of the United States. Most recently, Mr. Joseph was a senior counsel at a global law firm in Chicago.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Indiana University, B.A., with honors
- District of Columbia
- ESOP Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- American Bar Association, Taxation Division
- Illinois State Bar Association, Employee Benefits Division
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year, 18th Annual M&A Advisor Awards