Bonni F. Kaufman
Bonni F. Kaufman is a partner in the Public Policy & Regulation Group of Holland & Knight, where she focuses her practice on environmental law. Ms. Kaufman represents industrial, transportation, real estate, consumer products and manufacturing clients in a wide variety of matters relating to environmental laws, focusing on regulatory enforcement and compliance, product regulation, litigation and environmental aspects of corporate and real estate transactions. She counsels clients with respect to compliance with environmental regulatory requirements under the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, RCRA, CERCLA, FIFRA, TSCA and state laws, and has successfully resolved enforcement actions and litigation related to violations of environmental regulations and migration of contamination. She represents developers, lenders and bond issuers in connection with military housing privatization projects around the country. She advises clients in connection with the purchase, sale and development of environmentally impacted properties and brownfields development. She also advises public companies with respect to environmental and climate change disclosures.
Ms. Kaufman has successfully defended and prosecuted Superfund and state law cost recovery claims, as well as litigated environmental penalty actions, citizen suits, environmental insurance recovery claims and bankruptcy claims. She has participated in numerous alternative dispute resolution procedures, including mediation and arbitration. She is also a frequent writer and speaker on environmental issues.
Recent representative engagements include:
- successful defense and litigation of enforcement actions related to major RCRA violations, stormwater violations, Clean Water Act permitting, lead-based paint, asbestos, refrigerant and Clean Air Act violations
- counseling with respect to FIFRA and TSCA compliance and enforcement issues, including production, labeling, and pre-manufacture notification marketing and importation, as well as advertising and marketing of pesticide and chemical products by pesticide manufacturers, retailers and distributors of fertilizers, lawn care products, pesticide devices and consumer products
- CERCLA cost recovery litigation for plaintiffs and defendants at Superfund sites across the country, including active litigation in New Jersey, New York, California, Ohio and Texas
- project environmental support, including NEPA and state equivalent analysis, comments and mitigation measures; deed restriction negotiation and implementation; and environmental assistance to lenders, underwriters, bond counsel and borrowers
- transactional representation in a wide variety of commercial transactions and sales of real estate, including corporate acquisitions, development and sale of brownfields, contaminated properties and national real estate portfolios
- representation of public companies with respect to environmental disclosures and reporting issues
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- National Brownfields Association
- American Bar Association, Section on Energy, Environment and Resources, Superfund and Natural Resource Damages Litigation Committee, Vice Chair, 2016
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- District of Columbia Bar, Section on Energy and the Environment
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Environmental Law, 2020, 2021
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Environment Law, 2010-2013, 2017, 2018
- Holland & Knight Rising Stars, 2007