Tara S. Kaushik is an attorney in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office and a member of the firm's West Coast Land Use and Environment Group. Ms. Kaushik focuses her practice on regulatory matters, with a specific emphasis on energy, natural resources and the environment. She represents energy companies, investors, local governments, Alaska Native Corporations and tribal entities in project developments, including the negotiations of power purchase agreements and project financing. Ms. Kaushik also advises and represents her clients on numerous issues before state public utilities commissions throughout the western United States, including the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), as well as before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Ms. Kaushik represents clients in matters involving the California Independent System Operator (CAISO), including the interconnection process and CAISO stakeholder processes. She also handles carbon credits transactions and cap-and-trade issues before the California Air Resources Board, and regularly advises energy companies and tribal organizations on litigation and arbitration involving energy and commercial disputes.
Ms. Kaushik's clients include electric utilities, utility investors, energy storage companies, solar and wind developers, natural gas pipelines and marketers, oil refineries, tribal organizations, energy efficiency companies, a carbon capture and storage developer, and water utility companies. In addition, she has advised clients in energy, technology, publishing, healthcare, financial services and real estate development with regard to federal and state court proceedings and arbitrations.
Ms. Kaushik's representative matters include:
- Represented electric utility cooperative, winning on virtually every issue of a fully litigated, natural gas rate case before the Regulatory Commission of Alaska (RCA)
- Represented large company in acquisition of telecommunications company, and advised on compliance with supplier diversity requirements under California law; represented company in application to verify certification of CPUC's Supplier Clearinghouse program
- Advised energy efficiency company on CPUC precedent to prepare response to California utility request for proposals
- Represented electric utility cooperative in natural gas utility rate case before the Regulatory Commission of Alaska
- Represented a venture fund that develops carbon offsets and sequestration projects on tribal lands under the California Air Resources Board's cap-and-trade program, and sells carbon credits from projects in global markets
- Advised biofuel and biodiesel developers on California utility procurement regulations and California cap-and-trade program
- Advised tribal government in Arizona with structuring entities to promote development of industrial park and attract manufacturers
- Represented tribal government in first-ever transaction involving investment in hydropower from the Hoover Dam
- Represented natural gas marketer in its application before FERC for authority to provide electric services, which was approved
- Advised and represented energy efficiency provider on evaluation, measurement and verification issues in rulemaking proceeding before CPUC
- Represented technology company in development of solar photovoltaic project and sale of excess power to Arizona utility
- Represented energy storage company in contract negotiations with California investor-owned utility
- Represented global energy company in rulemaking proceeding before CPUC on reliability and safety issues for investor-owned utilities to address in risk management plans as part of general rate cases
- Represented Alaska Native Corporation in development of cogeneration facilities in Alaska
- Represented tribal government and energy company in acquisition of coal mine serving the Four Corners power plant in New Mexico, as well as in proceeding before the Arizona Corporation Commission concerning deregulation of the electricity market
- Represented natural gas pipeline company in general rate case of California investor-owned utility before CPUC on ratemaking issues
- Represented oil refineries in general rate cases and rulemaking proceedings before CPUC and FERC