James C. King is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., and Charlotte offices. As a member of Holland & Knight's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Mr. King focuses his practice in the area of employment law counseling and litigation.
Mr. King regularly advises clients on compliance with state and federal employment laws, conducts internal investigations and provides claim evaluations where necessary. In the event that a dispute results in litigation, he has experience representing clients through all phases of litigation in state and federal courts, as well as in American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitrations.
In addition to his employment law counseling and litigation practice, Mr. King also regularly represents clients in commercial disputes. As part of this practice, he has represented businesses in litigation involving breach of contract claims, shareholder and partner disputes, and disputes over intellectual property (IP).
Outside of his traditional practice, Mr. King is an active participant in Holland & Knight's pro bono practice and regularly provides legal assistance to veterans in connection with requests to correct military records and discharge petition upgrades in cases involving Military Sexual Trauma (MST).
- Represented employers in state and federal courts in claims involving the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), state wage and hour laws, Title VII race and sex discrimination claims, harassment and wrongful termination
- Received a full defense verdict in a jury trial on behalf of an employer accused of race discrimination and retaliation
- Advised employers on compliance with state and federal Worker Adjust and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act requirements
- Provided Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) classification analysis for an employer
- Advised an employer on compliance with COVID-19 orders
- Represented an employer before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in connection with alleged race and sex discrimination claims
- Advised employers through negotiation, preparation and enforcement of employment termination and severance agreements
- Represented various businesses in breach of contract litigation in state and federal courts (both as plaintiff and defense counsel)
- Defended corporations and directors in shareholder disputes involving claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and other internal disputes
- Defended a corporation against Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action litigation
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, J.D., with honors
- North Carolina State University, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia