Lisa M. Kpor
Lisa Mon'a Kpor is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office and a member of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Her litigation experience includes a broad range of legal issues, including shareholder oppression actions, financial services litigation, product liability disputes, complex breach of contract suits and commercial landlord-tenant actions.
In addition, Ms. Kpor is a member of Holland & Knight's Entertainment Law Team, which represents entertainment, media and advertising clients and other content providers who produce, license, acquire, use and invest in film, television, music and digital content for worldwide distribution. Ms. Kpor has represented Grammy Award-winning musicians, best-selling authors, Academy Award-nominated filmmakers and a host of other creative individuals in contract negotiations related to film, television and publication deals.
Ms. Kpor is also a member of the firm's Legal Profession Team. In that regard, she represents law firms, corporate legal departments and individuals on matters related to conflicts of interest, legal ethics consulting, attorney-client confidentiality and other professional responsibility issues. In addition, Ms. Kpor represents individuals in proceedings before the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission through the Attorney Defense Initiative, the first privately sponsored pro bono initiative in the nation that focuses on assisting impaired lawyers facing disciplinary charges.
During law school, Ms. Kpor participated in the Civil Litigation Clinic, where she represented clients during adversary hearings at the Champaign County Circuit Court. She also coordinated the largest alumni banquet for the University of Illinois Black Law Student Association. As an undergraduate, Ms. Kpor served as a contributing writer for The Oberlin Review, Oberlin College's student-run newspaper.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Kpor interned with the Newport News Department of Social Services, the executive office of the mayor of Washington, D.C., and a host of other agencies.
Ms. Kpor is involved in community, civic and charitable activities in Illinois and beyond. She remains dedicated to today's youth and has mentored students through The Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and The Posse Foundation, where she serves on its Chicago Leadership Council. She previously served as a co-chair for the Emerging Leaders group of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. In addition, Ms. Kpor is a member of the Public and Charitable Services Committee and the Associates' Committee at Holland & Knight's Chicago office.
Ms. Kpor's representative experience includes:
General Commercial Litigation
- Represented national manufacturers in several product liability actions
- Represented a municipal corporation in a complex breach of contract action against a subcontractor
- Represented national hotel chains as lead counsel during bench trials in commercial landlord-tenant disputes
- Represented a regional contractor in dispute against former employees involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants, including non-competition and non-solicitation agreements
- Represented a national insurance and investment company in a complex securities fraud and Ponzi scheme matter arising out of the conduct of a former agent, who pleaded guilty to fraud and financial abuse of the elderly
Shareholder Disputes Within Closely Held Corporations
- Represented investors in fraud litigation against a majority shareholder
- Represented a minority shareholder of a corporation in an action involving breaches of fiduciary duty, breaches of contract and tortious interference with contract
- Represented a non-controlling, majority shareholder of a closely held company in a lawsuit against controlling shareholders and trustee for breach of fiduciary duty and shareholder oppression that resulted in the award of a $725 million judgment to the shareholder and related beneficiaries
- Represented an award-winning entertainer in negotiations related to various feature-length theatrical motion picture projects and documentary productions
- Represented a best-selling author and television personality with the development of a television series
- Represented an athlete in negotiations with a producer related to development of a film focusing on the athlete's life story
- Represented a beneficiary in connection with the negotiation of six major marketing, streaming, music publishing and catalog distribution agreements for an international artist who died in 2016
Legal Ethics Matters
- Represented a disciplined attorney in obtaining a modification of Illinois Supreme Court 764(b)
- Represented a boutique law firm to ensure its expansion into additional states was ethically compliant
- Represented an alternative legal service provider in litigation brought by its competitor under the Lanham Act and related state laws
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Oberlin College, B.A., German; Politics
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- All State Courts in Illinois
- Law360's Media & Entertainment Editorial Advisory Board, 2020
- Federal Bar Association, Standing Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, 2020-2021
- Federal Bar Association, Special Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion, 2017-2019
- The Posse Foundation, Chicago Leadership Council, 2019-2021
- Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, 2020-2021
- Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Emerging Leaders Co-Chair, 2019-2020
- Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Emerging Leaders Leadership Council, 2018-2019
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Chicago Associates' Committee, 2019-2021
- Holland & Knight Chicago Women's Initiative, Associate Liaison, 2017-2019
- Holland & Knight Chicago Public and Charitable Services Committee, 2016-2021
- University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Board, President, 2020-2021
- University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Board, Vice President, 2019-2020
- University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Board, Member, 2018-2019
- Christopher House Volunteer Read-a-Thon Committee, 2016-2018
- Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago, Inc.
- Oberlin College Admissions Office, Interviewer, 2014-2017
- American Bar Association, Lieutenant Governor of Student Bar Associations and Liaisons for the Law School Division of the 7th Circuit, 2013-2014
- Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute, 2019
- Public and Charitable Service All-Star, Holland & Knight, 2018
- Top 40 Under 40 in Illinois, The National Black Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Rising Star Award, National Immigrant Justice Center, 2017
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2017
- Pro Bono All-Star, Holland & Knight, 2014-2020
- CALI Award for Excellence: Government Secrecy, 2014