Michael P. Kuppersmith is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Chicago office. Mr. Kuppersmith concentrates his practice in the area of commercial real estate law, with an emphasis on the leasing, acquisition, development, financing and disposition of office, retail, multifamily residential, student housing, hotel and industrial properties, corporate facilities work, workouts involving distressed real estate assets, and the development and redevelopment of commercial properties.
Mr. Kuppersmith has represented private real estate funds, pension funds, commercial and multifamily residential developers, office, retail, and industrial landlords and tenants, financial institutions and institutional investors on their real estate transactions around the country. He also has significant experience representing multinational corporations on their corporate facilities' needs. Mr. Kuppersmith has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions in California. Representative transactions that Mr. Kuppersmith has acted as lead counsel on include:
- representing the tenant on an 880,000-square-foot build-to-suit transaction for a distribution center in New Jersey and a 600,000-square-foot distribution center in Lebanon, Indiana
- representing a real estate fund on the acquisition and financing of a portfolio of six multifamily residential/student housing projects located in Berkeley, California, for a purchase price of approximately $180 million
- representing the developer of a 300-acre mixed-used redevelopment project in San Francisco, California, in connection with a series of land transfers between the developer, the City of San Francisco, Port of San Francisco and the State of California
- representing a multinational corporation and its subsidiaries on multiple office facilities leases and subleases involving more than 5 million square feet of office and industrial space in locations throughout the United States, including Arizona, California, New York, Indiana, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and New Jersey (including the lease for its U.S. headquarters), on real estate aspects of corporate acquisitions and dispositions, and on sales of real estate assets
- representing the landlord on the restructure and expansion of a 300,000-square-foot office lease with a multinational, publicly traded corporation, in a Class A downtown Chicago office building
- representing a publicly traded real estate investment trust on the acquisition, development, financing and refinancing of a 2 million-square-foot retail center in Ontario, California
- representing a publicly traded real estate investment trust (REIT) on the construction financing for a 1.2 million-square-foot retail development project in Madrid, Spain
- representing a real estate fund on multiple acquisitions and dispositions of office properties in the Washington, D.C., area
- representing a real estate fund in connection with a long-term ground lease for a Chicago-area university for the development and operation of an on-campus 10-story student housing project
- representing a real estate fund in connection with the acquisition, financing and development of a 500,000-square-foot life sciences building adjacent to the campus of a major university in Connecticut
- representing the owner/ground lessee in connection with the restructuring of a long-term ground lease covering 20 acres on Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, California, the development and financing of two new office buildings on the property, the lease-up of the project to three investment banks and Stanford University, and the disposition of the project
- representing a real estate fund in connection with the sale of a Class A office building in Washington, D.C., for approximately $250 million
- representing a pension fund on multiple acquisitions and dispositions of multifamily, office, retail and industrial assets
Mr. Kuppersmith has lectured on commercial leasing for Continuing Education of the Bar in California.