Hilary Lane is a privacy and security attorney with extensive experience helping organizations navigate the privacy and cybersecurity landscape nationally and around the globe.
Ms. Lane counsels clients on a wide range of data privacy and security matters, including:
- building or enhancing comprehensive privacy and security programs tailored to the needs and culture of the business
- existing and incoming global data protection laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (CDPA), Colorado Privacy Act (CPA), Brazil General Data Protection Law (LGPD), European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act (CAN-SPAM)
- working with marketing, ad sales, data analytics and product teams to help them leverage data to achieve business objectives and meet legal requirements
- managing cyber risk, developing and implementing incident response plans, and conducting tabletop exercises with technology and business teams and senior leaders
- leading responses to data breach and security incidents and providing guidance on breach notification and remediation
- guiding human resources and security teams on employee privacy and security issues
- developing and delivering customized training to safeguard personal information and meet data protection obligations
- privacy and security issues in connection with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and advising on post-acquisition integration
In addition, Ms. Lane has substantial experience – both as in-house and outside counsel – advising on a broad array of matters, including employment, intellectual property, First Amendment, antitrust, bankruptcy and restructuring, eDiscovery and general commercial litigation.
Ms. Lane is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the United States (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and a member of the IAPP Advisory Board.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Lane served as Chief Privacy Officer for NBCUniversal in New York, where she built the corporate-level privacy program and advised operating units (including broadcast and cable networks, theme parks, NBC News and NBC Sports) on privacy processes, practices and procedures to ensure compliance with global data protection laws. She also served as Vice President and Senior Counsel of Litigation for NBCUniversal, where she handled a broad spectrum of complex litigation matters, including intellectual property (patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, idea theft), employment, defamation, access, contract and general commercial cases.
- Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, M.S.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Jazz House Kids, Board of Directors Vice Chair, 2015-2020; Member, 2015-2020, Advisory Board Member, 2020-Present
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Advisory Board, Privacy Bar Section, 2022-2024
- IAPP Central Florida KnowledgeNet Chapter, Co-Chair, 2022-2024