Hilary Lane is a privacy and security attorney with extensive experience helping businesses navigate the privacy and cybersecurity landscape nationally and around the globe.
Ms. Lane counsels clients on a wide range of data privacy and security matters, including:
- advising on U.S. state and federal privacy and cybersecurity laws, including Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Section 5 requirements, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing Act (CAN-SPAM) and Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), as well as global data protection laws such as the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Brazil's Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados (LGPD)
- building or enhancing privacy and security programs tailored to the needs and culture of the business
- providing guidance on how to leverage data to achieve business objectives and meet legal requirements
- developing and delivering customized training to help clients safeguard personal information and meet their data protection obligations
- designing and implementing incident response plans and programs
- leading responses to data breach and security incidents and providing guidance on breach notification and remediation
- counseling on privacy and security in connection with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, as well as advising on post-acquisition integration
In addition, Ms. Lane has substantial experience – both as in-house and outside counsel – advising on a broad array of matters, including employment, intellectual property, First Amendment, antitrust, bankruptcy and restructuring, and general commercial litigation.
Ms. Lane is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the United States (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Lane served as Chief Privacy Officer for NBCUniversal in New York. In that role, she built, implemented and led the global privacy program across diverse operating units and drove strategy throughout the organization. She also served as Vice President and Senior Counsel of Litigation for NBCUniversal, where she handled a broad spectrum of complex litigation matters, including intellectual property (patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, idea theft), employment, defamation, access, contract and general commercial cases.
- Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, M.S.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Jazz House Kids, Board of Directors Vice Chair, 2015-2020; Member, 2015-2020, Advisory Board Member, 2020-Present