Thomas D. Leland is a partner in Holland & Knight's Denver office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. His practice focuses on U.S. and international litigation and arbitrations, primarily in the energy, natural resources and transportation industries. He has first-chaired dozens of jury and bench trials in high-stakes litigation across the U.S. and has managed international arbitrations in the energy and transportation industries.
In his energy and natural resources practice, Mr. Leland represents energy and commodity trading companies, midstream pipeline and transportation companies, electric power producers, co-ops, utilities, third-party marketers, mining concerns and oil-and-gas exploration and production companies. He handles a wide variety of disputes and litigation, including employment matters, commercial litigation, false claims litigation and in accident/explosion investigations and litigation.
Mr. Leland also has extensive experience handling domestic and international litigation and arbitrations for clients in the transportation industry, including airlines, maritime shipping companies, helicopter companies, engine manufacturers, aviation repair stations and parts manufacturers. He has represented aviation companies in multiple high-profile accidents across the U.S. and internationally.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Leland has successfully handled appeals in the Colorado Supreme Court, the Colorado Court of Appeals, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, as well as numerous other state and federal appellate courts throughout the U.S.
With respect to arbitrations, Mr. Leland has acted as lead counsel in matters before the American Arbitration Association (AAA), the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), the London Maritime Arbitration Association (LMAA), the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the International Court of Arbitration (ICC).
Finally, Mr. Leland has performed multiple independent internal investigations for corporate clients from employment-related investigations to investigations concerning potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the False Claims Act, as well as cause-and-origin investigations into transportation and industrial accidents and explosions.
Mr. Leland began his career as an associate in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office in 1998. In 2004, he relocated to Colorado. He returned to Holland & Knight in 2015 to become one of the founding partners of the firm's Denver office.
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Colorado, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- George Mason Law Review, Member and Contributing Author
- University of Colorado, Journal of American Studies, Contributing Author
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 2021