Thomas D. Leland
Thomas D. Leland is a litigation partner in Holland & Knight's Denver office. In his 25 years of practice, Mr. Leland has first-chaired dozens of jury and bench trials, hearings and arbitrations in high-stakes litigation in Colorado and across the U.S.
Mr. Leland started his career at Holland & Knight in its Washington, D.C., office supporting the firm's aviation litigators on high-profile aviation accident litigation, including the TWA 800 disaster in 1996. During his six years as an associate, Mr. Leland second-chaired multiple trials and arbitrations and learned the mechanics of trial work and the art and science of telling persuasive, winning stories in the courtroom. He worked with the firm's partners on multi-million dollar commercial and casualty litigation in cases involving satellites, weapons defense systems, aviation, maritime, and oil and gas pipelines and refineries, among other topics.
In 2004, Mr. Leland relocated his practice to Colorado. Since then, he has built a busy commercial litigation practice and has handled hundreds of matters in Colorado and throughout the country involving a wide range of commercial and corporate disputes, including contract disputes as well as matters involving the theft of trade secrets, business fraud and asset recovery. He also represents a number of colleges and universities in a wide range of matters, including internal investigations. In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Leland has successfully handled appeals in the Colorado Supreme Court, Colorado Court of Appeals and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Mr. Leland is equally experienced in representing clients in private alternate dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings, including arbitrations and mediations, and has represented clients in dozens of proceedings with various ADR organizations, including the American Arbitration Association (AAA), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), Judicial Arbiter Group (JAG) and London Maritime Arbitration Association (LMAA).
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Colorado, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2022
- George Mason Law Review, Member and Contributing Author
- University of Colorado, Journal of American Studies, Contributing Author