Thomas L'Helias is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office who focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital markets, private equity and corporate governance. Mr. L'Helias represents clients in numerous industries and sectors, including manufacturing, financial services, private equity, energy, healthcare, infrastructure, engineering services and building supplies.
Mr. L'Helias has a wealth of transactional experience over a 25-year career that includes domestic and cross-border M&A involving public and private companies, as well as securities offerings of both debt and equity. He has been involved in dozens of transactions for Fortune 500 companies and many of the largest and most respected multi-national companies, foreign private issuers, financial institutions and funds.
In addition, Mr. L'Helias has extensive experience advising company boards and management teams on day-to-day and high-stakes matters, including material transactions, internal investigations and complex litigation. He is often called upon to manage bet-the-company matters that involve dozens of advisors spanning multiple countries and continents, but is equally comfortable advising clients in far smaller, but no less strategically important, matters.
Outside of his legal practice, Mr. L'Helias is a regular speaker at industry conferences and continuing legal education (CLE) courses.
Prior to rejoining Holland & Knight, Mr. L'Helias was in-house at one of the largest North American health insurance companies, where he was responsible for and supervised all corporate, governance, employee benefits, labor and employment, and subsidiary matters for the company. Prior to his in-house experience, Mr. L'Helias was an attorney with several global law firms. Mr. L'Helias was an attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office from 1998 to 2004 before returning in 2020.
Before attending law school and beginning his legal career, Mr. L'Helias worked as an investment banker in New York.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with multiple acquisitions in various industries, including manufacturing, security services and media services
- Representation of a global investment bank in connection with a series of principal investments in real estate development
- Representation of global investment banks in connection with numerous underwriter-side engagements in multiple industries
- Representation of a multinational medical device company in connection with its $4.5 billion acquisition of a competitor
- Representation of a global foreign-based infrastructure conglomerate in its North American acquisition strategy
- Representation of a global energy and industrial conglomerate in connection with acquisitions and dispositions, including the multibillion-dollar acquisition of a competitor
- Representation of a global infrastructure fund in its U.S.-based acquisitions
- Representation of a NYSE-listed company in the building supplies sector in a series of acquisitions and securities offerings in the United States
- Representation of one of the largest health insurance companies in connection with various significant acquisitions, dispositions and financings
- Representation of a global security company in connection with its acquisition of one of its main competitors and the spin-off of its private corrections unit
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, B.S., Finance and Political Science
- New York