Lawrence J.H. Liu is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Los Angeles office. Mr. Liu's practice consists of a broad array of commercial, corporate, real estate, class action, and labor and employment litigation in state and federal courts.
Mr. Liu's experience includes handling business disputes from inception through trial and post-judgment proceedings. He has also successfully achieved favorable settlements in numerous matters and advised clients on various business legal issues.
Mr. Liu represents diverse clients from around the world, including the U.S., Canada, mainland China and Taiwan. He handles cases in established industries such as real estate, healthcare, telecommunications and entertainment, as well as emerging industries such as cannabis and cryptocurrency.
During law school, Mr. Liu was a member of the UC Irvine Law Review and Moot Court Competitions Board. He also co-founded and served as co-president of the Business Law Society. In addition, Mr. Liu clerked for the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office and California Department of Justice Attorney General's Office and worked in the International Justice Clinic.
- Represented a publicly held Canadian tech company in multimillion-dollar commercial, cryptocurrency and trademark dispute against global media enterprise
- Defended commercial cannabis entities in series of multimillion-dollar shareholder and corporate disputes
- Successfully defended a retail business in Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action; prepared motion for judgment on the pleadings leading to voluntary dismissal of case
- Represented a financial lender in $21 million commercial loan dispute involving large hotel and resort development project; successfully obtained appointment of receiver
- Second chaired trial in a commercial real property and partnership dispute; successfully obtained judgment resulting in partition by sale and award of monetary offsets
- Successfully settled numerous Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Unruh Civil Rights Act cases on behalf of businesses and property owners
- Worked on a favorable multimillion-dollar settlement for employees in federal class action against a large utility company employer and labor union involving unfair competition and wage-and-hour claims; assisted on law and motion resulting in successful, published decisions on novel issues of substantive and procedural law
- Represented an employer medical group in successful settlement of employee wage-and-hour and contract claims
- Represented a rural California municipality in various litigation, election and administrative law matters
- Served as counsel for a rural healthcare district in California and advised on various administrative law matters
- University of California, Irvine School of Law, J.D.
- University of Maryland, B.A., Government and Politics
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- Taiwanese American Lawyers Association (TALA), Executive Board, 2020-Present
- Chinese - Mandarin