E. Andrew Norwood
Andy Norwood helps clients maximize and safeguard the value of software, information systems and other intellectual property assets through trademarks, copyrights and licensing agreements. His practice focuses on intellectual property law, including copyright, trademark, trade secret and related licensing issues. He represents clients in a wide variety of industries and has completed hundreds of contract and licensing matters in the healthcare industry alone.
Much of Mr. Norwood's practice involves licensing and other matters related to computer software and information systems. A key part of that role is helping to ensure that critical systems are available as needed.
He believes it is crucial to fully understand clients' overall business in order to best serve their legal needs. Mr. Norwood says that he has very few client contacts that he does not also consider to be his friends. This personal approach and understanding of the industries in which he practices have earned him respect within the legal and business communities.
Over 50 publishing houses have called on Mr. Norwood for a wide range of transactions, from simple author contracts to corporate mergers and acquisitions. In 2004, he received the distinguished Robin Mays Award, the Publishers Association of the South's highest honor, in recognition of his contributions to the publishing industry.
He has been lead counsel representing clients in:
- software licensing
- information systems security issues
- general intellectual property licensing
- supply chain
- group purchasing
- peripheral matters related to information systems, such as hardware purchasing, nondisclosure agreements, and services contracts
Mr. Norwood is a talented speaker who blends business savvy and humor in seminar presentations and other speaking engagements. His unique combination of quick wit and subject matter knowledge enables him to present complex legal issues in clear, concise and memorable terms.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D.
- The University of Alabama, B.A., cum laude
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Committee, Past Chair
- GEAR Foundation, Board of Directors
- O'More College of Design, Board of Trust, Past Member
- Parents Advisory Council of the University of Alabama, Past President
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Media Entertainment (Tennessee), 2009-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide; Copyright Law, 2011-2023; Information Technology Law, 2008-2023; Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2011-2023; Litigation - Patent, 2011-2022; Patent Law, 2011-2022; Technology Law, 2013-2023; Trade Secrets Law, 2016-2023; Trademark Law, 2011-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Lawyer of the Year - Technology Law (Nashville), 2019, 2022-2023