Elena Otero is a transactional attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office primarily practicing in the areas of real estate, finance and banking law, with a focus on commercial real estate and commercial lending transactions.
Ms. Otero counsels local, national and international financial institutions and lenders in commercial lending transactions, including construction and permanent real estate financing, healthcare real estate finance, commercial and industrial loans, and asset-based lending. She also represents clients in the acquisition, development, leasing (including sale-leaseback, triple-net and build-to-suit lease transactions), disposition and financing of commercial and residential real estate.
Ms. Otero's experience advising developers includes representation in various types of projects such as land development, condominiums, mixed-use developments, joint venture investments, hotels, restaurants, retail and office buildings. Additionally, that representation usually involves navigating contractual, zoning and other developmental issues that arise as project development evolves. She also assists clients with management of real estate assets and a multitude of contractual agreements, including subleases, licenses and assignment agreements.
Additionally, Ms. Otero works closely with the firm's estate and tax planning team to counsel wealthy individuals, their families and their businesses in their real estate investments, acquisitions and dispositions. Ms. Otero also represents institutional and private lending clients with licensing, regulatory and compliance matters.
Lastly, Ms. Otero serves as the editor of Holland & Knight's South Florida Gateway Annual Report and one of two mentor coordinators for the Miami office. She is also active in her community, currently serving, among other positions, on the board of directors for the Children's Home Society of Florida's Southeastern Division (Miami-Dade County), the Women United Executive Committee for United Way Miami, and the Women's Leadership Council for Habitat for Humanity of Greater Miami.
- The Real Deal, "Miami Worldcenter Developer Sells Site to Abbhi Capital for $24M," August 5, 2020
- RPTE eReport, "Leasing Guidance During COVID-19: A Look at Various Lease Covenants," June 15, 2020
- South Florida Business Journal, "$210M Loan Funds Construction of Salmon Farming Plant Near Homestead," April 24, 2020
- The Real Deal, "Homestead Salmon Farm Reels in $210M Construction Loan," April 23, 2020
- GlobeSt.com, "Apartment Tower Scores $70M to Rise in Miami Growth Area," August 7, 2019
- The Real Deal, "Developer Scores $70M Construction Loan for Apartment Project Near North Miami," June 18, 2019
- Daily Business Review, "Melo Group's Art Plaza Project Gets $85M Loan With Help From Holland & Knight," June 12, 2018
- REBusiness Online, "Melo Group Receives $85M Construction Loan for Two-Tower Apartment Project in Downtown Miami," June 7, 2018
- Multi-Housing News, "Melo Group Scores $85M Financing for Residential Towers," June 7, 2018
- The Real Deal, "Melo Closes $85M Construction Loan for Art Plaza Apartments," June 6, 2018
- The Real Deal, "Palace Group Scores $95M Loan for Senior Living Community in Weston," April 4, 2018
- South Florida Business Journal, "High-End Senior Living Complex Breaks Ground in Weston," April 4, 2018
- Daily Business Review, "Miami Holland & Knight Team Closes $20 Million Burger King Financing," March 20, 2018
- Sunview Companies, "Planned Hotel Indigo in Brickell Closes on $35M Loan," December 21, 2015
- South Florida Business Journal, "Hotel Indigo Breaks Ground in Miami’s Brickell With $35M Ocean Bank Loan," October 21, 2015
- Bisnow, "Aria on the Bay Bags $95M Construction Loan," August 2015
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Miami, B.A., Political Science
- United Way of Miami-Dade Young Leaders
- United Way of Miami, Women United Executive Committee
- Leadership Florida Connect Class VIII
- Leadership Florida Regional Council, 2018-2020
- Leadership Miami, 2016-2017
- CREW Miami Chapter
- CREW Fall Connections, Co-Chair, 2017
- CREW, Legal Counsel, Board of Directors, 2018
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA)
- The Florida Bar – Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- South Florida Banking Institute
- Children's Home Society of Florida's Southeastern Division (Miami-Dade County), Board of Directors and Vice Chair, 2019-2020; Co-Chair 2020
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Miami Women’s Leadership Council
- Urban Land Institute
- Consumer Discretionary Deal of the Year, 18th Annual M&A Advisor Awards
- Top Up and Comer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2019
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2016-2018