Richard Perez is a transactional lawyer who practices in the areas of corporate and governmental law. In addition to an active corporate and mergers and acquisitions (M&A) practice, Mr. Perez has extensive experience in governmental transactions, including procurement matters and public-private joint ventures.
Mr. Perez represents sponsors, concessionaires and other project participants in relation to capital-intensive projects in the U.S., including public-private partnership (P3) infrastructure projects and privatization transactions.
Mr. Perez's recent engagements include:
- counsel to affiliates of a major league sports franchise negotiating master development agreement with the City of Miami for $1 billion development which would include a professional sports stadium, retail and office development
- counsel to the bidders in connection with the bid to lease, maintain, operate and receive toll revenues from the Florida Department of Transportation's (FDOT) long-term lease of Alligator Alley (also known as the Everglades Parkway), a 78-mile section of Interstate 75 in South Florida
- representation of concessionaire in the $1.78 billion Interstate 595 Project in Florida's Broward County, named the "2009 North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance magazine; this is the first P3 infrastructure project in Florida and the first availability-based structure in the U.S. market
- representation of successful bidders in a public-private transaction with the City of Miami to lease, develop and finance a mixed-use marina, restaurant and commercial development on city-owned waterfront property
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Perez served as General Counsel to the Florida Department of State, where he managed all legal matters pertaining to the 2004 presidential election. In addition, he represented the Florida House of Representatives on issues regarding redistricting and advised the federal court on the re-drafting of state legislative districts in the State of Georgia.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Miami, B.A., magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Miami Dade Urban Debate League (MDUDL), Co-Chairman, Board of Directors
- Judicial Nominating Committee for the 11th Circuit Court of Florida
- Most Effective Lawyer, Lobbying, Daily Business Review, 2014
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2014-2017
- Top Up and Comer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2008-2011