Calon Russell is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Portland office. In addition to his extensive commercial litigation experience, Mr. Russell helps lawyers, law firms and alternative legal service providers navigate issues that arise under the ethical, civil and criminal rules governing the provision of legal services.
Mr. Russell's services include:
- conflicts of interest: helping law firms avoid disqualification and/or fee disgorgement
- attorney-client privilege: developing strategies to protect privilege and avoid waiver during discovery disputes, government investigations and attorney fee shifting disputes
- sanctions: pursuing or defending motions for sanctions in connection with, inter alia, Rule 11, 28 USC § 1927, discovery disputes and/or inherent court authority
- defending lawyers in state bar disciplinary proceedings
Transactional and Compliance
- law firm formation, mergers and dissolution
- regulatory compliance for alternative legal service providers: navigating unauthorized practice of law (UPL) restrictions, fee-sharing with non-lawyers and rules governing referral fees for lawyers
- regulatory compliance for multidisciplinary practices (i.e., firms that offer more than just legal services)
- data privacy and security policies and procedures
- attorney bar admissions
- lawyer mobility: assisting lawyers or practice groups with transitions between firms
- setting up conflict-checking systems
- setting up client intake systems
In addition to representing lawyers and law firms, Mr. Russell maintains a commercial litigation practice at the trial and appellate level.
Mr. Russell also is the editor of Thomson Reuters Legal Innovation & Ethics Newsletter.
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, J.D.
- Portland State University, MBA
- Whitman College, B.A., Psychology
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL)