George E. "Buddy" Schulz Jr. is a partner in Holland & Knight's Jacksonville office and is a Florida Bar Board Certified trial lawyer. His practice has involved him in litigation throughout the United States since 1973. He is the past chairman of Holland & Knight's litigation department, and he presently is the Chair of the Public and Charitable Service Department, which coordinates the Firm's pro bono and community initiatives that provide assistance to persons of limited means and organizations that help them.
A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, American Board of Trial Advocacy and the American Bar Foundation; listed in The Best Lawyers in America and Florida Trend's Legal Elite; and a member of The Florida Bar, American Bar Association, Chester Bedell American Inn of Court and other professional organizations, Mr. Schulz is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court; the United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits; The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, including the trial bar. He has served as a member of The Florida Bar’s Civil Rules and Evidence Code committees and as chairman of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission. He is a recipient of the Florida Bar Pro Bono Service Award.
In his community, Mr. Schulz has served as a cabinet member of United Way; general counsel of PACE Center for Girls/Jacksonville; a director of Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc.; a director of the Jacksonville Urban League; a member of the City of Jacksonville Ethics Commission; a member of the City of Jacksonville Juvenile Justice Comprehensive Strategy Board; and a member of the Gator Bowl Association. He is presently a member of the Board of Trustees of the Community Foundation for Northeast Florida, a trustee emeritus of the University of Florida Levin College of Law and a member of Florida Blue Key.
Mr. Schulz earned his law degree following military service as a lieutenant in the United States Navy during the Vietnam War.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court, Master
- Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: North America, 2020
- Robert J. Beckham Equal Justice Award 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocacy Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- Ultimate Attorney, Pro Bono, Jacksonville Business Journal, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2008-2019, 2021; Commercial Litigation, 2006-2019, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Jacksonville Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year, 2010, 2019
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Jacksonville Commercial Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Justice Raymond Ehrlich Award, 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2020
- Jacksonville Lawyer of the Year, 2011
- Florida Legal Elite Hall of Fame, Florida Trend magazine, 2009-2020
- American Board of Trial Advocates Civility Award, 2009
- Chesterfield Smith Award, 2001
- Pro Bono Service Award, The Florida Bar, 1991