Maxwell N. Shaffer is a litigator and trial attorney in Holland & Knight's Denver office. He is a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Mr. Shaffer's work focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on matters involving business torts and unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duty and trade secrets. He also has experience representing and advising hospitality providers, including litigation matters involving recreational injuries, food and beverage services, premises liability and personal injury. Additionally, Mr. Shaffer has defended employers against claims for wrongful termination, in matters involving breach of employment contracts, and in wage and hour disputes.
Mr. Shaffer represents clients at trial, in arbitration and on appeal. He has experience in all stages of state and federal court litigation, and in domestic and international arbitrations. Mr. Shaffer is a member of the bar of the U.S. District Court for both Colorado and Wyoming, and has handled matters in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Mr. Shaffer is active in the Denver community. He serves on the board of directors of the First Tee of Denver, and participates in the University of Denver Sturm College of Law's Professional Mentoring Program. Mr. Shaffer has also served as a volunteer mock trial coach for the University of Denver and the Sturm College of Law.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Shaffer practiced at a Midwest-based law firm. In 2015, he joined Holland & Knight as a founding member of the firm's Denver office.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, J.D.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Civil Pro Bono Panel, U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017, 2019
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2017–2020
- Rising Star, Colorado Super Lawyers magazine, 2016-2020