Matthew W. Sloane is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Boston office and is a member of the firm's Labor, Employment and Benefits Group, Education Team and OSHA Workplace Safety and Whistleblower Claims Team. Mr. Sloane represents public and private employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including all facets of litigation. In this capacity, he provides counsel to employers on a wide variety of employment and workforce matters, including safety policies, and compliance with all federal, state and local laws.
Mr. Sloane understands that legal compliance is one of many competing business considerations when advising clients on employment law matters. Mr. Sloane provides comprehensive advice while also taking into account the priorities, concerns and underlying circumstances unique to each client.
Mr. Sloane dedicates a substantial portion of his practice to advising private educational institutions on a broad range of matters, including Title IX sex discrimination and sexual assault, faculty disputes, separation agreements, the Clery Act and campus security, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other student privacy issues, and student conduct, policies and handbooks. Mr. Sloane's Education practice experience includes:
- conducting an impartial, university-wide Title IX investigation and preparing a final Title IX investigation report in accordance with the institution's Title IX policies and procedures
- resolving faculty disputes through zealous advocacy in trial pleadings
- reviewing and revising faculty and student handbooks for currency, including revisions to reflect updated Title IX regulations published in 2020
As part of his Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance and safety counseling practice, Mr. Sloane has counseled employers through OSHA investigations and in legal proceedings involving workplace accidents and whistleblower actions. Mr. Sloane has extensive experience advising employers on safety issues related to COVID-19 to ensure optimal compliance with OSHA and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regulations and guidance. Mr. Sloane's experience with COVID-19 advice includes:
- revising employer workplace safety policies, including respiratory protection protocols, in accordance with the most recent OSHA guidance
- defending employers in active OSHA investigations related to COVID-19 exposure
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Sloane served in the U.S. Air Force Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps. As an Air Force officer and lawyer, Mr. Sloane gained significant experience as a trial attorney. As a first chair litigator, Mr. Sloane brings to the firm years of trial experience encompassing all facets of litigation, including discovery, complex case investigation and preparation, and courtroom advocacy.
In the community, Mr. Sloane continues to serve as a major in the Massachusetts Air National Guard during his spare time.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Boston Bar Association
- National Guard Association of the United States
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All Star, 2020
- U.S. Air Force Officer Training, Top Oral Advocate, 2014
- Sutherland Moot Court Competition, Boston University School of Law
- Albers Moot Court Competition, Boston University School of Law