Andrew J. Soven
Andrew Soven is a commercial litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Philadelphia office. Mr. Soven has more than 25 years of experience litigating and resolving complex matters and counseling clients.
During the course of his career, Mr. Soven has amassed significant experience in numerous areas of the law, including financial services, creditors rights and remedies, fraudulent transfer claims, restrictive covenant litigation and other matters involving equitable relief and restrictive covenant litigation. He also has extensive experience developing compliance protocols for financial institutions.
Mr. Soven has represented banks and finance companies in numerous class actions in courts throughout the country involving overdraft fees, mortgage servicing, auto loan financing and collateral repossession, credit reporting and other areas of the law. He also has extensive experience representing and counseling banks with respect to litigation involving community banking issues, including check and wire fraud, check kiting, elder abuse and other branch-related issues and claims. He also has represented financial institutions in fiduciary litigation.
Mr. Soven also represents public and closely held businesses in different types of litigation in courts throughout the country.
As part of his work in the financial services industry, Mr. Soven has acquired in-depth knowledge of the Uniform Commercial Code (Articles 3, 4, 4A and 9), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). He has served as lead counsel in large receivership and lender liability cases, and handles noncompete litigation for financial services and other clients. He first-chaired many trials and arbitrations, including successfully defending fraudulent transfer claims in excess of $100 million in a three-week jury trial.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Soven has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School since 2013. He also has served on a committee in connection with matters before the Pennsylvania Attorney Disciplinary Board.
- Successfully represented multiple national and regional banks in overdraft fee litigation
- Co-managed large compliance project involving implementation of thousands of internal controls to ensure national bank’s compliance with myriad state laws
- Substantial experience representing owners in closely held corporation disputes and related litigation
- Defeated fraudulent transfer and related Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) claims in a three-week jury trial, resulting in a multi-million dollar judgment in favor of client
- Defeated, in trial court and on appeal, claims for millions of dollars of allegedly unpaid commissions related to sale of in-app communication services
- Defeated, at trial, trade secret claims related to alleged misappropriation of patient information
- Represented national banks in more than 100 cases involving Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and other community bank issues, including check fraud, wire fraud, check kiting, safe deposit box disputes, elder abuse, etc.
- Obtained receiverships in numerous cases involving commercial loan defaults
- Substantial experience representing creditors in matters involving asset recovery
- Obtained dismissal of multiple consumer class actions involving Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices (UDAP) and other claims related to mortgage servicing
- Obtained dismissal of multiple consumer class actions involving UCC Article 9 claims related to post-repossession notices of intent to sell collateral
- Successfully represented employers and insurers in connection with Employment Retirement Income and Security Act (ERISA) life insurance, disability insurance and executive compensation claims
- Defeated trademark and related unfair competition claims in a matter involving several dozen insurance agents
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- University of Virginia, M.A., English Language and Literature
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., History and English, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- All State Courts in Pennsylvania
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Editor
- Phi Beta Kappa