Jonathan Spital is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice.
Mr. Spital focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration. He is highly experienced in assisting clients on a wide range of business torts, including breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. He also is well versed in managing voluminous e-discovery in complex civil litigation matters that involve multiple claims and parties.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Spital also has extensive appellate experience representing clients in all stages of post-trial proceedings before Georgia trial courts, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Georgia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Mr. Spital also dedicates part of his practice to doing pro bono work, including working on cases with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), which is the leading organization for the protection of children who enter the U.S. immigration system as unaccompanied minors.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Spital was an associate at a large international law firm in New York, where his practice focused on complex commercial litigation.
During law school, Mr. Spital served as an articles editor for the Emory Law Journal, as a teaching assistant for Advanced Legal Writing and as a Dean's Teaching Fellow. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Spital was a quantitative analyst with a major accounting and consulting firm in Atlanta.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for a trading company and its officers and directors in a multimillion-dollar securities fraud lawsuit
- Obtained a reversal of $18 million jury award in a personal injury/collision case based on improper closing argument
- Obtained post-trial remittitur of more than $8 million on behalf of major retailer in negligent security shooting case
- Represented electric authority in a multibillion-dollar contract dispute regarding financing for the proposed expansion of a nuclear power facility
- Represented a publishing company in private arbitration regarding a multimillion-dollar contract dispute stemming from alleged breach of asset purchase agreement
- Represented municipal transit authority in appeal of eight-figure jury verdict in personal injury case
- Obtained trial victory for a private equity fund in a $400 million dispute in Delaware Court of Chancery concerning corporate governance of portfolio company and exit rights
- Obtained victory in Delaware Court of Chancery for collateralized loan obligation (CLO) funds in a dispute with former portfolio manager over obligations to turn over books and records
- Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of an organization representing songwriters, composers and music publishers in a copyright infringement lawsuit
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with high honors
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York
- All Appellate Courts in Georgia
- All Trial Courts in Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- All State Courts in New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2019, 2020
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa