Jonathan Spital is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice.
Mr. Spital focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration. He is highly experienced in assisting clients on a wide range of business torts, including breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. He also is well versed in managing voluminous e-discovery in complex civil litigation matters that involve multiple claims and parties.
In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Spital also has extensive appellate experience representing clients in all stages of post-trial proceedings before Georgia trial courts, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Georgia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Mr. Spital also dedicates part of his practice to doing pro bono work, including working on cases with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), which is the leading organization for the protection of children who enter the U.S. immigration system as unaccompanied minors.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Spital was an associate at a large international law firm in New York, where his practice focused on complex commercial litigation.
During law school, Mr. Spital served as an articles editor for the Emory Law Journal, as a teaching assistant for Advanced Legal Writing and as a Dean's Teaching Fellow. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Spital was a quantitative analyst with a major accounting and consulting firm in Atlanta.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for a trading company and its officers and directors in a multimillion-dollar securities fraud lawsuit
- Represented an electric authority in a multibillion-dollar contract dispute regarding financing for the proposed expansion of a nuclear power facility
- Represented a publishing company in private arbitration regarding a multimillion-dollar contract dispute stemming from alleged breach of asset purchase agreement
- Represented a tire manufacturer in product liability suits involving catastrophic injury and death
- Represented a nuclear power company against claims for wrongful death arising from alleged workplace exposure to COVID-19
- Obtained trial victory for a private equity fund in a $400 million dispute in Delaware Court of Chancery concerning corporate governance of a portfolio company and exit rights
- Obtained victory in Delaware Court of Chancery for collateralized loan obligation (CLO) funds in a dispute with a former portfolio manager over obligations to turn over books and records
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claims for conversion and breach of fiduciary duty on behalf of an insurance funding company
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an organization representing songwriters, composers and music publishers in a copyright infringement lawsuit
- Obtained reversal of a $22 million jury award in a negligence case based on improper jury instruction regarding spoliation of evidence
- Obtained post-trial remittitur of more than $8 million on behalf of a major retailer in negligent security shooting case
- Obtained vacatur of $6 million attorneys' fee award in wrongful death trucking accident case
- Obtained complete denial of motion for terminating discovery sanctions on behalf of an automobile manufacturer
- Provided pre-trial appellate counsel to a construction company in negligence case involving catastrophic injury, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in case of first impression regarding the application of the Apex Doctrine under Georgia law
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with high honors
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York
- All Appellate Courts in Georgia
- All Trial Courts in Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- All State Courts in New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) Pro Bono Team of the Year, 2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2019, 2020
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa