Jacquelyn Thomas is an attorney in Atlanta's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Ms. Thomas handles complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels and in arbitration. She represents both plaintiffs and defendants, and her clients include corporations, limited liability companies, public utilities and individuals.
Ms. Thomas focuses her practice on litigating high-stakes commercial contract disputes, including claims of breach of contract and breach of representations and warranties, as well as Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) matters. Ms. Thomas routinely litigates business torts, with particular experience involving claims of fraud, tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets and civil conspiracy. She has also worked on matters outside of commercial litigation, including property disputes involving easement and mineral rights, probate and constitutional law.
Ms. Thomas' litigation experience encompasses research, drafting pleadings and discovery, deposing witnesses and substantial motion practice. She uses her knowledge and experience to think creatively and pragmatically about solutions to the unique issues presented in each case. Ms. Thomas endeavors to work with her clients to create a strategy that meets both their short- and long-term goals.
Ms. Thomas' notable representative matters include:
- defending a family-owned multimillion dollar business and individuals in litigation involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy, leading to a favorable settlement for the clients
- defending a buyer in a UCC dispute against claims of breach of contract, fraudulent and negligent misrepresentations, and promissory estoppel, leading to a favorable settlement for the client
- representing one of the country's largest municipal utilities in a multibillion dollar dispute regarding the financing for the last active nuclear construction project in the United States
- defending a seller and directors in a $100 million dispute against claims of breach of representations and warranties, fraudulent inducement and civil conspiracy arising from an asset purchase agreement
- advising a large corporation regarding a pre-suit easement dispute that involved reviewing historical probate and deed records
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Thomas practiced business litigation at a Florida law firm. She also served for two years as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Harvey E. Schlesinger of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. During law school, Ms. Thomas served as editor-in-chief of the Florida State University Law Review.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Florida State University, B.A., Political Science, French, summa cum laude
- All State Courts in Georgia
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- The Florida Bar
- State Bar of Georgia, Young Lawyers Division
- Atlanta Bar Association, Women in the Profession Section
- Florida State University College of Law Alumni Association Board
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Order of the Coif