Carlos Véjar is a domestic and international trade attorney in Holland & Knight's Mexico City office. Mr. Véjar counsels companies on international trade strategies, investments, government procurement, regulatory compliance, unfair trade practices, intellectual property and customs procedures, as well as commercial, private and international trade arbitration matters. He has been appointed as panelist for the USMCA's general dispute settlement chapter and Mexico's roster for disputes concerning unfair trade practices, ICSID list of mediators and WTO list of experts.
Mr. Véjar previously served at the Ministry of Economy of Mexico (SE) as general counsel for international trade for more than six years. At the SE, he was responsible for coordinating Mexico's participation in trade and investment disputes, as well as providing legal advice on international trade negotiations and foreign trade matters under World Trade Organization (WTO) regulations, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and other free trade and bilateral investment agreements. Mr. Véjar also served as an economic counselor in the Permanent Mission of Mexico to the United Nations before the WTO in Geneva from 2004 to 2009. He has nearly 20 years of experience working in the Mexican government on trade and foreign investment matters, including arbitration.
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, J.D.
- Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations, MBA
- Panelist, Chapter 31 Dispute Settlement Panel, USMCA Free Trade Commission
- Panelist, Chapter 10 (Trade Remedies), Government of Mexico
- International Chamber of Commerce México, Investment Arbitration Committee, Vice President
- Best Lawyers in Mexico, 2020, 2021
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Next Generation Partner, International Trade and Customs, Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, 2020
- The Legal 500 Latin America, International Trade and Customs, 2018, 2019; Dispute Resolution, 2019; International Arbitration, 2019
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017