Clayton J. Vignocchi is a New York attorney and a member of Holland & Knight's Maritime Practice Group. His practice encompasses a broad range of domestic and international maritime matters arising out of charter party and contract breaches, marine terminal schedules, collisions/allisions, limitation of liability, salvage, maritime liens, regulatory and licensing issues, international conventions, marine propulsion casualties, bad bunker claims, environmental compliance, ballast water management, ship mortgages and marine insurance.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Vignocchi graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and sailed for several years on his Coast Guard license as a senior engineering officer on U.S. flag vessels. During that time, Mr. Vignocchi worked for the U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command, where he completed multiple deployments with the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh fleets supporting the U.S. Navy and allied forces around the world. In addition to his commercial sailing experience, Mr. Vignocchi has supervised multiple shipyard repairs and dry-docking operations in both U.S. and foreign shipyards. He currently holds and maintains a Chief Engineer Unlimited license (National and STCW).
In addition to his degree from Tulane University Law School, Mr. Vignocchi also obtained a certificate in Admiralty and Maritime Law. While at Tulane, Mr. Vignocchi served as president of the Maritime Law Society and as notes and comments editor of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal.
Mr. Vignocchi is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and previously served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve, Strategic Sealift Officer Program.
Mr. Vignocchi regularly writes about topics pertaining to maritime and contributes to the Holland & Knight Transportation Blog.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D.
- United States Merchant Marine Academy, B.S., Marine Engineering Systems, minor in Environmental Engineering
- New Jersey
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- All Federal Courts in New Jersey
- All Federal Courts in Connecticut
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Dinner Committee, 2017-2020
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME)
- New York County Bar Association
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2020, 2021
- Global War On Terrorism Civilian Service Medal, U.S. Department of Defense