Clayton J. Vignocchi is a New York attorney and a member of Holland & Knight's Litigation Practice Group, concentrating in maritime work. His practice encompasses a broad range of domestic and international maritime matters arising out of charter party and contract breaches, marine terminal schedules, vessel collisions, submerged cable/pipeline allisions, limitation of liability, salvage, maritime liens, maritime regulatory and licensing issues, international conventions, marine propulsion casualties, bad bunker claims, environmental compliance (OPA 90, CERCLA and state law), ballast water management, ship mortgages and marine insurance.
A portion of Mr. Vignocchi's practice also involves vessel documentation and finance, including Jones Act compliance, and matters involving the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Maritime Administration and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Additionally, Mr. Vignocchi advises on and drafts maritime and logistics contracts, specifically in the inland marine dry bulk sectors and international dry bulk and oil and gas trades.
Mr. Vignocchi represents clients in general litigation matters in state and federal courts nationwide, as well as in arbitration and administrative law proceedings.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Vignocchi graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and sailed for several years on his Coast Guard license as a senior engineering officer on U.S. flag vessels. He completed multiple deployments with the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh fleets supporting the U.S. Navy and allied forces around the world as a part of the U.S. Navy’s Military Sealift Command. In addition to his commercial sailing experience, Mr. Vignocchi has supervised multiple shipyard repairs and dry-docking operations in both U.S. and foreign shipyards. He currently holds and maintains a Chief Engineer Unlimited license (National and STCW).
In addition to his degree from Tulane University Law School, Mr. Vignocchi also obtained a certificate in Admiralty and Maritime Law. While at Tulane, Mr. Vignocchi served as president of the Maritime Law Society and as notes and comments editor of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal.
Mr. Vignocchi is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and previously served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve, Strategic Sealift Officer Program. He also regularly writes about topics pertaining to maritime issues and contributes to the Holland & Knight Transportation Blog.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D.
- United States Merchant Marine Academy, B.S., Marine Engineering Systems, minor in Environmental Engineering
- New Jersey
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- All Federal Courts in New Jersey
- All Federal Courts in Connecticut
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Dinner Committee, 2017-2020
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME)
- New York County Bar Association
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2020, 2021
- Global War On Terrorism Civilian Service Medal, U.S. Department of Defense